[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is it like working an R&D job? I have a couple of job

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0051.png (868KB, 1218x686px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0051.png
868KB, 1218x686px
What is it like working an R&D job?

I have a couple of job offers, and one of them seems like work that I would love to do. However, it's R&D, and no one in my circle of friends/family/whatever has ever done stuff like that. I'm pretty much asking if I'm going to want to kill myself.

Also, I'm an Electrical and Computer Engineer if that makes a difference.
>>
>>8922174
how do you become an engineer?
>>
>>8922180
doing R&D or whatever the fuck to put on your resume
>>
>>8922191
wouldn't you have to be an engineer in the first place to do R&D?
>>
>>8922195
Fuck no, you just need to suck some cock and beg your professors to get you into the field while you're doing undergrad
>>
>>8922198
..oh
>>
>>8922198
Bingo.
>>
>>8922198
Have you worked R&D?
>>
>>8922264
I know a guy who works in R&D in my company,
all they do there though is research our competitor's products,
company i work for has not anything actually innovative in a long time.
>>
>>8922174

R&D is great. I'd imagine it'd be shit if everyone more senior than you was autistic though. Even if so, it should be fine as long as you don't give them reason to dislike you. The real risk is being made redundant, which is pretty likely. Good luck!

t. R&D engineer who only kept their job due to getting along well with colleagues
>>
File: viper.jpg (196KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
viper.jpg
196KB, 960x720px
>>8922174
>>8922198
Honestly, what's the criteria and steps for getting an R&D job? I'm working towards a BS, I thought a PHD was essentially a requirement but please tell me I'm wrong...
>>
Engineer working in Bell Labs R&D

Ama.

Bell labs is commercial R&D now so we do more cool shit then in uni
>>
>>8922643
What's your day-to-day like? I just graduated, so I'm not sure what any engineering job is like--especially R&D.
>>
>>8922641
Some only require masters. If you get into one with a masters then that experience should be good to get into better ones
>>
>>8922643
How is the pay for R&D compared to other positions? And what field or specialization if any?
>>
>>8922659

>>8922648
Day to day I am either working on projects or at status update meetings for them. Project work can be researching/testing/coding/prototyping or writing documentation (lots of it in R&D). New ideas aren't really our department since those are from incubator organizations (full of bright individuals). Depending on what your job/role is, an engineering job can be many things. My main advice is be able to work with little instruction (it's not like a restaurant job where you get micromanaged)

>>8922659
Pay is decent for me. Company has pay scales based on things like experience levels and tenure. Been working here for a few years and I get close to 6 #s. At the same time interns of various levels can be paid 15-25$/hr
>>
>>8922659
Forgot to say my degree was mechanical but I specialized in EE telecom shit. Won't say much about my work except it's a lot of fast data rates or wireless comms. There's about ~8 major projects and within those are smaller ones.
>>
>>8922810
>>8922813
I've been told my position is something similar to a general engineer with a focus on stuff like signal processing. What do you do when you encounter a concept or problem that you don't know too much about? My impression is that it's a mixture of online research and asking around the office or your professional network.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.