[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Multiplication is repeated addition >2*5 is the same as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: pep.gif (342KB, 666x386px) Image search: [Google]
pep.gif
342KB, 666x386px
>Multiplication is repeated addition
>2*5 is the same as adding together two groups of five objects
>5*-2 is adding together five groups of -2 objects

but when we get to -5*-2 we're adding together negative five groups of negative two.

How can you add together negative five groups of something?

I can understand having 5 groups of -2 but having -2 groups of 5 or -5 groups of -2 makes no sense to me.

Can anyone explain to me what it means to have negative groups of something?
>>
File: .png (239KB, 696x720px) Image search: [Google]
.png
239KB, 696x720px
>>8919378
>multiplication is repeated adding
>2.3692 groups of 2.59285
>>
>>8919488
That makes perfect sense.

You can have 2 groups of a number then take a fraction of the number n, thus have 2.n groups of a number

2.5 * 10 = 10 +10 + 5
>>
>>8919378
I think what you are really asking is "why when you multiply two negative numbers together do you get a positive number?".

It's a natural result of the abstract algebra structure known as a "field" that follows from its axioms.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_(mathematics)

I don't feel like writing up the LaTeX, but this guy walks you through the proof.
http://www.school-for-champions.com/algebra/product_of_two_negative_numbers.htm
>>
>>8919510
What if both numbers are rational
>>
It doesn't mean anything to have a negative group of something. In general we define the multiplication of integers as:
If [math]a,b\in\mathbb{N}[/math],
then [math]a\cdot b=\underbrace{b+b+\cdots+b}_{a~\text{times}}[/math].
If [math]a\in\mathbb{Z}\setminus\mathbb{N},b\in\mathbb{N}[/math], then [math]a\cdot b=-(\underbrace{b+b+\cdots+b}_{-a~\text{times}})\,.[/math]
so in your case with -5*-2 we have
and -5* - 2=- (-2+-2+-2+-2+-2)=--(2+2+2+2+2)=10
>>
>>8919586
i probably meant that b is in the set of integers
>>
>>8919378
Maybe think in terms of money. Say you pay 10k in taxes per year, so that over 5 years you pay 50k, so you have a net gain of -50k. This is 5*(-10k)=-50k. Now for (-5)*(-10k) is if instead of paying 10k per year for 5 years, you instead receive 10k per year for 5 years, which is a net gain of 50k.
>>
>>8919378
suppose -2*-2 = -4.
then since -2*2 = -4, it follows that 2 = -2, a contradiction
therefore -2*-2=4.
>>
>>8919510
That's 3 groups, not 2.5 groups, you just changed the value in the third group to try to fix your definition which doesn't make sense.
>>
>>8919378
Multiplication isn't actually repeated addition, that's a simplification for ease of understanding for children.

That said, the examples you give are trivially describable as repeated addition
>>
File: 1490727530863.jpg (91KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1490727530863.jpg
91KB, 640x640px
>>8919378

>Can anyone explain to me what it means to have negative groups of something?

Don't look at it that way. The idea is: with positive integers, multiplication is defined (or let's take it as a definition, it doesn't change the argument) as adding groups of the same size. I think it comes from examples like this

S S S S S
S S S S S

You have two ways to count that: you either add 5 times the number 2 (count columns) or add 2 times the number 5 (count rows). As you're counting the same thing, both procedures should give the same result: 5×2=2×5=10.

When extending this idea to integers in general, you may lose the intuition you had in the positive integers. Why it works? That's another story.

Moral of the story: when you win some, you lose some as well.
>>
>>8919378
Here anon, it explains it perfectly:

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/arithmetic/arith-review-negative-numbers/arith-review-mult-divide-negatives/v/why-a-negative-times-a-negative-is-a-positive
>>
>>8919531
a = p/q
b = m/n
ab = pm/qn
p,q,m,n € Z (so the repeated addition shit makes sense, just take the ratio afterwards)
>>
>>8919784
>multiplication isn't actually repeated addition
most examples people try to use to "prove" this are brainlet-tier misunderstandings

so show off your stuff
>>
Sometimes analogies don't work well. We use them to build intuition, understanding that in less than perfect situations they may not literally apply.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.