[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does sci think of a Biotech major with a 3.1 going

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: nanotechnology-hd-wallpaper.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
nanotechnology-hd-wallpaper.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
What does sci think of a Biotech major with a 3.1 going into his senior year
>>
>>8913259
Biotech is a meme. 3.1 is pitiful. Good luck getting into grad school.
>>
>>8913264
Have fun being an academic your whole life
>>
Have fun with your genetically modified yeast spewing out death in your face.
>>
>>8913291
I like you
>>
>>8913293
you also like reddit
>>
>>8913271
Um.. thank you.
>>
Reminder: /sci/ is for discussing topics pertaining to science and mathematics, not for helping you with your homework or helping you figure out your career path.
>>
>>8913293
I'm not even into biotech, worked in retail pharmacy and would read all the books. Remember a paper from the 70's how the Japs did the yeast thing (that is so pop today) to make tryptophan and killed thousands with there meddling with natures perfection.
>>
I'm a physics major who just failed linear algebra. I didn't think it was hard whatsoever, but my teacher was a fucking cuck. I'm going to retake it over the summer, but am I official screwed for grad school?
>>
>>8913356
If you took out a student loan your fucked for life.
>>
>>8913259
You're boned. I have a friend who majored in Microbio that finished with a 2.9 who was in a similar position as you. He's working at Target now.
>>
>>8913356
Somewhat. Your chances of getting in the top programs are slim due to that course grade. But your chances wont decrease significantly for other schools provided you do exceptionally well this summer, and well enough overall in your next few years to raise up your GPA.
>>
I just graduated with a dual-degree in Chemistry and Physiology [spoilers]3.63 GPA[/spoilers]. I applied to medical school last year with a 3.65 GPA and a mediocre MCAT score [spoilers]67th percentile[/spoilers]. Combined with a slightly late application (I finished my secondaries in September), I got rejected from everywhere that I applied. I did not apply to any DO'h schools, and I won't denigrate myself to that in the future. I have good connections with both chemical/materials suppliers and local hospitals for lab jobs, so employment isn't a problem. However, I will probably slit my wrists if I have to continue to work as a chemist for more than a year or so. I don't know whether I should reapply now or wait a year so that I have better credentials under my belt. How fucked am I?
>>
>>8913418
>spoilers
fucking end my life
>>
>>8913418
Are you future me? I'm taking me mcat june 1 I'm not applying to DO and my pratice mcats are about 67th percentie. Any tips?

My only saving grace is i'm 3.93 and hispanic
>>
>>8913424
I'm white, btw. Really, 67th percentile isn't exclusionary if you have good credentials regarding GPA (you do), volunteering, strong LRs, patient/hospital exposure, job shadowing, and demographic advantages (you do). The thing that I would recommend is to apply immediately on June1. I think you can complete your AMCAS preemptively right now and have the MCAT submitted automatically. Having a rigorous major also helps--really anything that you can sell to differentiate yourself. If you've had any undergrad research or pubs (I had two in inorganic chemistry/crystallography), hit hard on those in your app. You've gotta expect that most MD programs won't really bat an eye at a 3.5 human bio major with a 503 if they don't have something also going for them. As far as studying for the MCAT, I'm no expert on which prep book or course is the best, so long as you're studying a lot and regularly. Since you're out of school now, you should have time for that. Me personally, I do the best on standardized tests when I just take a bunch of practice tests--something that I didn't do for the MCAT because A. I'm a dumbass and B. Analytical Chemistry Lab at my university is the most inane, time consuming bullshit that you can imagine. If you're still struggling, bear in mind that a lot of places prefer to see all four of your tests above a certain threshold rather than having a high score here and a low score there. Me personally, I did really well on CR, ok on chem and bio (shamefully), and slightly below average on psych/soc. They unironically asked a question about Marxist conflict theory--this new test is a load of dick. You just need to deal with it, I guess. Sorry if this came across as really disjointed and schizophrenic.
>>
>>8913447
Oh, one other thing. If you're lacking in one of these areas (volunteering, pt contact, shadowing, test prep), don't be afraid to call off applying for a year so that you can get more stuff under your belt, even if that means canceling your test. Applying is expensive and time consuming, so you don't want to be like me and have to do it twice. As long as you're doing stuff during the downtime and you're no more than a year or two out from taking classes, I think you'll be ok. Assuming that you just finished your junior year, that shouldn't be an issue.
>>
>>8913461
Yah I'm a computer science major so hopefully i can sell the different perspective aspect. I have everything else but my research is pretty weak. I'm hoping my grad level bioinformatics classes will make up partially for that/ I'm doing research this summer. My undergrad has a good med school though which I won't get into but it will help my undergrad look decent i hope to med schools. I'm going to bang out all the AAMC shit for review that (like section banks and question packs) then take like 7 tests every other day with review in between so I'm praying that I can do decent with that. I'll probably have my app not instantly which is bad but I'll have it by june 15th the absloute latest which I hope won't hurt that much

I suppose if my scores did below 505 I might take a gap year since I'll be honest applying and not getting in anywhere seems very painful (It even happens to most people which is terrifying).

I'll be honest I'm really hoping CS + URM + GPA will make up for bad MCAT and research but we will see. I appreciate all the help friend.

I've never been so scared in my life friend but I'm wishing the best for both of us.
>>
>>8913536
Me too, best of luck.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.