[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At what point in the future of Earth will the English language

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 2001 A Spacey Odyssey.jpg (471KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
2001 A Spacey Odyssey.jpg
471KB, 1024x768px
At what point in the future of Earth will the English language die out?

Would everyone be speaking completely different languages in 1000 years time? If not, then what about a million years time?

Obviously there's no real answer, would appreciate educated guesses though!
>>
>>8911191
We can't even make guesses. Right now there are no indications that it can die out, and even if something happens in the future, with our rates of globalization it will just give way to another world language. I guess if we sent colonists to another solar system then their language would eventually diverge from ours.
>>
>>8911191
>At what point in the future of Earth will the English language die out?
when people stop using it
good luck with that
>>
>>8911217
Yeah, a replacement major world language is implied. Like, is it possible that different dialects between different American states could get so severe that they break out into their own separate languages?

>>8911240
Good luck with what? I'm not doing anything about it.
>>
>>8911244
>Like, is it possible that different dialects between different American states could get so severe that they break out into their own separate languages?
Again, with globalization it's going to be the other way around, everyone in America will be speaking Californian.
>>
>>8911244
>Good luck with what?
good luck with trying to predict when will English fall out of use, when there is literally no indication of such a thing happening at the moment
it's not an impossible thing to happen, but you lack any kind of real anchor point, something which would give you some real world data
currently English gains users by the year
millions and millions and there is no end in sight
and forget about dialects
>>
>>8911263
Russia invades United States in order to protect International Laws due to constant violation from US (2070)
Russia becomes world super power and Russian becomes the international language
Meanwhile, Syrian immigrants continue to rape yuropoor women and murder the men, forcing the population to become predominantly Syrian and erasing any English speaking peoples
Estimated year of English eradication is 2300, where people atop learning English and switch to Russian after these events occur
>>
>>8911191
It's semantics, OP.
How different does it have to be before people decide to call it a different language?

How diff'rent doest t has't to beest bef're people decideth to calleth t a diff'rent language?

æt−hwega næh ðanon býsting lêode stêpan nô−wih hlêg spr¯æc?

etc.
https://lingojam.com/OldEnglishTranslator
>>
>>8911290
Go to bed Donald, you're drunk.
>>
File: 1488288913821.gif (773KB, 260x221px) Image search: [Google]
1488288913821.gif
773KB, 260x221px
>>8911290
How old are you?
Russia already was a superpower and Russian was a compulsory language in dozens of nations for half a century. I didn't uproot a single native language.
Hell Russia itself has like 150 different languages.
That's not how this shit works.

English is embedded into the global social fabric like no other language before it.
>>
>>8911292
Good point, I guess it'll evolve until it's eventually unrecognisable to us.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.