[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does SpaceX get anything done with high turnover rates a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: govsubsidies.jpg (117KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
govsubsidies.jpg
117KB, 1600x900px
How does SpaceX get anything done with high turnover rates and dissatisfied employees?

https://www.inverse.com/article/31478-spacex-settles-underpaid-workers-lawsuit-for-4-million
>>
>>8905206
there are more then enough people wanting to work for spacex.

also as long as you have continuity plans. your down time from getting new people up to speed is minimal.
>>
>>8905206
>oh noes, SpaceX underpaid its workers by an average of $500 each
>what a disaster
A couple of disgruntled ex-employees, probably dismissed for underperformance, got together with greedy lawyers and started a class-action over some technicalities.

The employees got like an extra day's pay, the lawyers got $1.3 million. Good job, California courts and regulators!

Idiot who wrote the article put:
>SpaceX (along with Tesla) standout in the tech industry as among the lowest-paying companies to work for, but it is still ranked incredibly high in customer satisfaction, according to a March 2016 survey by Payscale.
...but of course, it's EMPLOYEE satisfaction. They're ranked incredibly high in employee satisfaction.

Nobody goes there looking for a 9-5 or expecting to get rich. They're fighting to be on the team that makes the Space Age dream comes true.
>>
>>8905317
everyone is going to gloss over that aerospace is already a fucking nightmare to work in. unless you work for the government.
>>
>>8905317
not giving you breaks is not a technicality
But thats pretty normal when you are working with machinery that can't be shut down
>>
>>8905206
Because a high turnover rate doesn't matter if it is new or low level people.
>>
>>8905206
Walmart gets billions of dollars of shit done with over 50% turnover rate on employees. What matters is consistency day to day, not long term.

tl;Dr there are always enough suckers who fall for the meme every day to keep the machine running.
>>
>>8905206
There are sort of rough guidelines on this. 80% of work done by a group is done by 20% of people. If you are a company and trying to optimize you want to find more of these 20% types. A high turnover rate of employees is not a bad sign assuming 80% of all employees do little work.

These are rough abstract "feel" numbers but you should get the picture. A high turnover rate is only bad depending on who is leaving and why.

A high pressure company like spaceX seems like it would take someone very intelligent and with an insane grit as well. It's probably for the best they cycle through employees. It gives people a nice resume line and they filter better.

Yeah, you might have a terrible year at spaceX but it doesn't seem like that big of a travesty to me.
>>
>>8905471
>tfw the space industry has been consumerized to Wall Mart levels
>>
>>8905317
>They're fighting to be on the team that makes the Space Age dream comes true.

And the only person that history will remember when "fighting for the Space Age dream" will be Elon musk. the rest won't even be remembered.
>>
>>8905486
>implying history will remember reddit meme man
>>
>>8905486
But i guess he can be remembered as a doucher as well though right? he'll probably make up for it at some point with feedin starvin marvins in africa bruh
>>
>>8905486
Some times it's about doing a good thing for humanity anon
>>
>>8905206
Those seeking for comfort are free to leave and do something else.
Elon Musk himself works hard so it's not surprising it is reflected on the whole company.
>>
I work for a structural engineering company with high turnover.

Since I started 3 years ago (I'm an exception) 85% are gone. I.e. less than 15% are people who have been there longer than I.

We make an ass load of money.
>>
>>8905317
>They're fighting to be on the team that makes the Space Age dream comes true.

I fucking hate you reddit scum.
>>
>>8906701
Fuck off George. Blow origin is wack
>>
I've worked in the defense contracting industry, on similar stuff to what they do at SpaceX. I assume its kind of similar.

Basically entry level employees get paid below market rate. The idea is that engineers in general are replaceable cogs. As long as the project managers stay fixed, they can keep the low paying churn coming in and out, and eventually the project will get done.

SpaceX seems very top down management though, so they can probably afford turnover even into the higher tier positions.

Building a rocket is actually kind of straightforward. Its not like any groundbreaking math or engineering has to be done.
>>
>>8905206
Because as an engineer of basically any sort they hire, having SpaceX on your resume dramatically increases your value on the market. Yeah, it'll be a hell of a grind, but if you can stick it out for 1-4 years other companies will bend over backwards to hire you.

It's also just damned cool to be able to say that you were a part of the company's achievements. "You see that rocket landing itself? Yeah I wrote the input synthesizer sofware on that thing," sort of stuff. At companies like SpaceX, the ability for an individual to have great impact on high-profile projects is much larger than at the glacial-speed 9-to-5 entrenched behemoths.

And of course, some people are just bonafide workaholics and places like SpaceX are a perfect fit for those people.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.