[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have come to the conclusion that most of this board regards

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: euler_is_not_king.jpg (38KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
euler_is_not_king.jpg
38KB, 400x300px
I have come to the conclusion that most of this board regards Euler as the king of math.

... But I think we all know that the throne belongs to Uncle Gauss.
>>
>>8904956
yes, but Gauss was an ass. Euler was more of a bro.
>>
Euler was better. Gauss was also a cunt.
>>
>>8905108
brainlet here, why was he a cunt?
>>
>>8905124
>Didn't publish significant amounts of his work
>Claimed certain results for himself despite not publishing them before the publishing of the result
>Tried to keep his kids out of math because he thought they would harm the family name
>Kept his intuitions for realizing solutions to problems secret
He was a genius and a great mathematician, but he was also a cunt
>>
What Gauss did that make people think he is so good? Other than the fundamental theorem of algebra and regression methods.
>>
>>8904956

The thing with Euler is that he left behind such a huge body of work, one of the largest such individual bodies of all time. This weighs huge in a serious discussion of him as the GOAT.

When ranking mathematicians, you're basically taking three variables together: breadth, depth and length (as I like to think of it). Breadth being the simple fact that you've done stuff in multiple areas, the more the better. Depth being the actual importance, interest and relevance of the things that you've done and their ability to be used in other areas - from the mathematical point of view of course, at least. And LENGTH being the end result of your working life and a simple quantity assignment to the above, more or less.

Three mathematicians with absolutely astounding LENGTH metrics (get your mind out of the gutter) are: Euler, Erdos, and less-familiar to /sci/, Sierpinski, each having been involved in hundreds upon thousands of pages, papers, etc, of mathematical content. Galois was sharp but you can never ever be the GOAT when you're just known for the one thing and you die at 20.
>>
Daily reminder that Gauss was a nigger
>>
>>8905225
OP here, glad you mentioned Galois, that's a good point. If only people weren't so obsessed with dueling for 'honor' back then.
>>
File: 1483824602991.jpg (30KB, 518x356px) Image search: [Google]
1483824602991.jpg
30KB, 518x356px
>>8905190
>Tried to keep his kids out of math because he thought they would harm the family name

That is pretty ruthless, what a cunt lol
>>
>>8904956
Banach and Hilbert are superior, sorry senpai
>>
Literally anyone who says Euler ISN'T the absolute greatest thinker of all time hasn't read the beautiful insight and logical clarity present in Euler's writings.
>>
>>8905374
But it's also true, genius only comes once. If he wanted the Gauss name to be remembered as legendary, one of a kind type genius then he had make sure the rest of his family forever becomes lawyers or some other brainlet shit.
>>8905190
>Didn't publish significant amounts of his work
And what do you think you have that entitles you to all of his results?

>>Claimed certain results for himself despite not publishing them before the publishing of the result

Gauss was a genius, he probably proved 10 theorems every night and then in the day he could only write up about one.

>Kept his intuitions for realizing solutions to problems secret

An architect never leaves the scaffolding
>>
>>8904956
>Gauss
Its Gauß for you.
>>
File: Disqvisitiones-800.jpg (34KB, 478x800px) Image search: [Google]
Disqvisitiones-800.jpg
34KB, 478x800px
>>8905903
Actually it's Gavss.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.