[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is intuitively understanding math a meme or are we just stuck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: taylor.png (6KB, 267x189px) Image search: [Google]
taylor.png
6KB, 267x189px
Is intuitively understanding math a meme or are we just stuck saying something is true because we can prove it?
>>
>>8904001
You can have an intuition for math but it has to rely on proofs as that is the only way to evaluate the truthfulness of your thought.

It's like having an intuition for programming. If the program doesn't run, then your intuition failed you
>>
>>8904001
Mathematics also requires poking the edges of knowledge. Theoretical physics does this in a way.
>>
"Young man, in mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them."
-- janos neumann
>>
>>8904050
What does "poking at the edge of knowledge" mean?
>>
>>8904043
is it possible to intuitively understand how and why the proof worked though?
>>
>>8904094
No. For the same reason you can't intuitively understand why or how this sentence reads. You either comprehend what you read or don't. The intuition part is knowing how you'd start writing in the first place.
>>
>>8904269
So if I understand you correctly you would agree with >>8904056 in that you can't "get" why stuff works the way they do you just get used to them until they become second nature?
>>
>>8904365
as is the case with intuition, yes.
>>
>>8904056
>implying he wasn't the greatest /sci/ memester of us all
von neumann was literally the /sci/ equivalent of /fit/'s "zumba and wii fit"
>>
>>8904365
What I'm saying is that your perception of intuition in mathematics is wrong.

Intuition is seeing a problem and visualizing it in a way that can be translated to logic, then words.

If you're already looking at the logic or words, you're past the intuition part.

Think of math like music. Deaf people can enjoy music just as much as anyone even though they can't hear it. We're all born deaf to mathematics but we can still enjoy it.
>>
Kek you brainlets will never be able to experience the next level of consciousness where everything just makes sense. If you want to challenge yourself try reading CTMU theory. Once you've internalized that Taylor series make intuitive sense.
>>
>>8904396
I'm not talking about intuition in the being quick at problem solving sense but rather being able to fundamentally understand why a theorem you have proven is true and why it will always be true without resorting to saying "because I've proven it"
>>
>>8904447
>Taylor series did not make sense for him originally

You just outed yourself for a brainlet.
>>
>>8904396
I had a lecture yesterday and the guy said exactly what you're saying and then said this is why computer will never really do math.
>>
>>8904001
Intuition is very important in mathematics.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.