[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the fuck is the point of learning trig sub for integrals

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: t79.gif (5KB, 387x256px) Image search: [Google]
t79.gif
5KB, 387x256px
What the fuck is the point of learning trig sub for integrals unless you're going to become a mathematician? It's not necessarily hard but it can be a long pain in the ass. And I have rarely seen it used outside of calc II. I've had to use partial fractions more. What's the deal /sci/ ?
>>
>>8903392
that's not the kind of thing that's important for a mathematician at all. that's just a plug and chug method, and a simple one at this. so memorize it like everything else and keep chugging, my homosexual friend
>>
>>8903396
I'm not saying it's important but if you're a mathematician I'd expect you to know how to do almost anything math including this. If you were a physicist I would have expected you to have learnt it too but maybe not have kept it memorized.
>>
>>8903405
a mathematician would probably plug the integral into mathematica or something, and that's if you ever needed to calculate

it's a very simple trick though, and can be deduced if you're familiar with the technique of completing the square

in any case, what's the point with the thread? you didn't complain about memorizing menial shit up to this point, so keep going
>>
>>8903392
>What the fuck is the point
it's an intelligence test, and you failed
>>
>>8903392
It pops up in physics
>>
I used this for deriving the equations of motion for a cantilever beam
I had to look it up because I forgot it but since i had seen it once i knew there was a nice trick
>>
Programming toolpaths on a CNC Machine.

Aiming your rifle at long distance targets.
>>
>"whats the point of"
>"only mathematicians compute integrals all day"
>seconday school level integrals in a college calculus course
>memoring substitutions

spotted the engineer
>>
>>8903405
>if you're a mathematician I'd expect you to know how to do almost anything math including this
You're so far out of touch with what math is and what mathematicians do that's it almost funny.
>>
>>8903392
>What the fuck is the point of learning trig sub for integrals unless you're going to become a mathematician

? Why? I'd just plug it in to a program to do it for me. If I had to know it by hand (for whatever reason), I'd be able to relearn it fast, yes.

>>8903405
>I'm not saying it's important but if you're a mathematician I'd expect you to know how to do almost anything math including this.

Lmao. No wonder you're struggling with trig substitutions. You're a complete brainlet.
>>
>>8903392

Pretty important in electronics.
>>
>>8903392
>What the fuck is the point of learning trig sub for integrals unless you're going to become a mathematician?

Astronomers and astrophysicists use it all the time
>>
File: 1452994989033.png (112KB, 294x256px) Image search: [Google]
1452994989033.png
112KB, 294x256px
gonna try to derail this thread a bit, but in a math degree it is required to memorize a fair bit of menial shit, is it not? and it's fine as long as you understand the bigger picture, yes?
>>
>>8903685
Sure. For an oral exam (I had to have this in topology, fucking shoot me), you'd do just that. In general, remembering your definitions is more than enough. For example, for my real analysis exam, I needed only definitions (this was stressed by my professor as well).
>>
>>8903392
Tell it to all wannabe game devs.
>>
To be honest most integration could just be done on a computer; however, it's still good to understand how the methods work etc.

Mathematicians also hate plug and chug and tedious computations in general. It's all about proofs and elegant solutions.
>>
>>8903392
nigga not even mathematicians use this shit. who knows why it's even taught
>>
>>8903392
Trig subs come back a lot in physics
>>
>>8903392
>Why learn anything beyond the basic common sense necessary for day to day tasks?
It's shit like this that makes me hate the idea of free college.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.