[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the science behind spirals in nature? Why do newage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

File: Screenshot_10.png (410KB, 484x326px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_10.png
410KB, 484x326px
What is the science behind spirals in nature?

Why do newage and popsci fags talk about muh spirals all the time? Is there something mystical about it?

Do you think there is something deeper hidden behind this pattern?Is there a pattern at all?
>>
File: 1482233729270.jpg (22KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1482233729270.jpg
22KB, 500x375px
My step moms heroin abuse is spiralling her life into an abyss of toxicity.
>>
>>8898802
Something something surface area something something volume.
>>
>>8898802
I suppose 'something mystical' in other words is that they look pleasing to the human eye
>>
>>8898807
But why? Why are they everywhere?
>>
>>8898804
>having an mega-ignorant mom
There are cures for that. Give her an eighth or mushrooms you grew and blessed and talk to her
>>
Can we talk about scientific stuff about spirals in nature? Why do they appear in everything? Shoudlnt people research them more since they indicate that they are the important part of our reality
>>
>>8898809
What is 'everywhere'
If you look out for, say, the number three, somewhere, you'll find it everywhere

>>8898820
There surely is more literature on the topic, that it often occurs in nature blah blah but want do you want to hear? Are you fascinated by spirals and come to this place for other people to tell you 'scientific stuff' about them?
>>
>>8898856
So in other words you dont know shit or any kind of explanation?
>>
>>8898802
Nothing, it's mostly because LSD can often make you see spiral formations. Most normal people have no creative mind whatsoever and drug induced hallucination represent the entirety of their original 'deep' thought, so they take things like spirals and eyes to be significant.
>>
>>8898869
Arent they? I mean spiraling galaxies and fucking flowers or animals make some big fucking difference.
>>
>>8898802
I think it is nature's way to grow.

The spirals you see represent scaling

They are spiral shaped because they grow towards the sun and/or moon on a rotating disk/sphere/planet
>>
>>8898802
Fibonacci curve
Golden spiral
Golden ratio
>>
>unfathomable number of things in this universe, at a ridiculously large range of scales
>some things are spirals
>this is somehow surprising

if there was such a basic pattern (like a spiral) that was found NOWHERE in nature - then I'd get suspicious.
>>
>>8898802
Using modeling clay, make a slender, long cone and wrap it like the chameleon's tail.

WOAH, A WONDER
>>
Reality is fractal and maybe spirals help people visualize this seemingly infinite structure
>>
>>8898802
>What is the science behind spirals in nature?
If you rotate something and at the same time decrease the radius you get a spiral, this happens often in nature.
>Why do newage and popsci fags talk about muh spirals all the time?
I wouldn't know, it is just a nice meme to sound smart I guess.
>Is there something mystical about it?
No.
>Do you think there is something deeper hidden behind this pattern?
If you mean by "deeper meaning" pseudoscience bullshit then no. If you mean legitimate scientific research then certainly yes.
>Is there a pattern at all?
Definitely, at least mathematically.
>>
File: 40502.jpg (163KB, 700x1849px) Image search: [Google]
40502.jpg
163KB, 700x1849px
>>
>>8898802
>do you think there is something deeper
Probably something to do with information and order-parameters. Idk im not a mathfag I'm an ecology philosopher.
Yes it is an obvious pattern
I know Fibonacci spirals show up in plant communities maximizing aerial productivity.
>something mystical
Anything can be mystical, mystical experiences are subjective. Mystical experiences are synesthesia where symbolic meaning is sensed instead of abstracted and remembered. That's what I interpreted from my mystical expernieces anyways. My experience was naturalistic and could be rationalized btw
>>
>>8898802
You sound like one of those DMT-smoking faggots
>>
>>8899229
unga, me do math
unga, no share findings
unga, no big picture
unga, only dunga look for big picture
>>
Spirals occur cause they are efficient patterns in the development of various biological structures. Evolution likey the spiral.
>>
>>8899255

>>principle of parsimony
>>
>>8899125
Hehehe
>>
>>8898802
>>8898820
Do spirals have a beginning or an end?
>>
>>8899125

kek
>>
>>8898802
Ignoring OP's 'mystical' bullshit, does the golden rotation have some property that causes it to appear in nature so frequently?
>>
>>8898883
Those two things are unrelated and caused by entirely different phenomenon. So I'm guessing that Anon was right and you really are just high, eh?
>>
>>8898883
You can see circles, squares, rhombuses or faces everywhere if that's what you are looking for.
>>
>>8900978
It doesn't though, you could say exponential growth is the most prevalent pattern in the universe. You can find any pattern all over the place if you so choose.
>>
>>8898802
Phi, I think, represents the formula for the most stable elongated structure for natural purposes. Too disk-like, and the structure would likely be too rigid. Too elongated, and the structure would likely be too fragile. It doesn't surprise me that a lot of organisms use that ratio in their biology if it makes sense, evolutionarily, to do so. It does seem strange that this is one of the few things many many organisms have in common.
>>
>>8901424

It also compressed information. You don't need need a plan for the entire organism, you just need to say "build outward in this way"
>>
too much acid desu is the main reason with fractal and spiral obsession
>>
Hurr what are logarithms
>>
>>8898890
That's funny, none of the spirals in the OP are golden spirals.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zosU6XTgSY
>>
>>8898802
I like how the ear only matches the golden spiral for like half a turn and shell doesn't match it at all yet someone still superimposed it over both.
>>
>>8898869
What the fuck are you talking about, I've never taken a "psychedelic" substance. You wouldn't believe what I see in my mind; I believe it to be called being human with a concious mind and an imagination or something I think.
>>
>>8900978
>>8898802
http://www.dna.caltech.edu/courses/cs191/paperscs191/turing.pdf

read my scifu's paper for your answers

>>8898820
>>8898869
>>8898883
>>8899229
yall are dumb. read the paper too
>>
>>8898923
the only sensible answer in this extremely dissapointing thread.
i thought you were cerebral, /sci/, maybe you should hang out more on /lit/.
>>
File: Fibona45.jpg (17KB, 357x329px) Image search: [Google]
Fibona45.jpg
17KB, 357x329px
>>8899125
Fibonacci in Nature
http://jwilson.coe.uga.edu/emat6680/parveen/fib_nature.htm
>>
>>8898802
This is the only reason I can think of, as far as normies are concerned that is. A lot of popsci fags are into the "Nerdy science is fucking awesome xD" culture which means being interested in surface level video games and anime. TTGL is one such example.
>>
>>8903224

See >>8899490
>>
>>8898802
>the human ear is a spiral
it fails to be a spiral in the most fundamental way. There's nothing going around and around the hole getting closer and closer as it goes around.
>>
>>8899241
>I am enlightened by my own DMT
>tips fedora
>>
File: 28a.jpg (38KB, 629x389px) Image search: [Google]
28a.jpg
38KB, 629x389px
>>8898802

No. It's for fooling fools. And it's pretty clear since they just bla bla bla and show overlapping pics. One gets fooled by not asking questions and just taking it in, so good for you.

On the other hand, curiosity is the first step into getting foo-I mean I mean convinced...
>>
>>8898809

> something resembles that spiral

-Look! Another example! Wow, it's everywhere, right??

> something doesn't look at all like it

"Note to one self: put this where nobody can find it while I'm giving this TED Talk"
>>
File: logo_debian.png (82KB, 635x307px) Image search: [Google]
logo_debian.png
82KB, 635x307px
>>8898802
>>
>>8898802
It's such a cost effective way to grow.
>>
>>8906848
interesting
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.