[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what is the best way to become better at math. how does one learn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1490894423489.jpg (1MB, 3060x2292px) Image search: [Google]
1490894423489.jpg
1MB, 3060x2292px
what is the best way to become better at math. how does one learn math well. if math doesn't click should one quit trying to pursue math and science. i am told that if this sort of thing doesn't come naturally then you will never be very good at it but only mediocre. i want to be a scientist but i really hate the idea of being mediocre (perhaps it is egotistical to want to be really good and discover new and fun things)
>>
>>8896690
I would suggest not memorizing stuff and instead trying to work it out yourself as if you were "inventing" the math you're trying to study.
That way, you can actually start from 0 and slowly build up solid mathematical knowledge.
Mathematics isn't something you memorize because someone asked you to, you will slowly realize it's beauty and usefulness.
As soon as you start getting into it, you will be quite interested in doing aditional research and you will become addicted.
Don't worry if you don't get everything super quickly, it's better to slowly build a solid understanding of mathematics rather than memorizing for a few weeks and then forgetting everything. Mathematics is so elegant that soon it will all start making sense to you, to the point at which you can probably say "Oh, I could have probably invented this theorem / solve this problem myself.".
Mathematics is elegant and makes logical sense, so I suggest using reason more than memory.
In other words, don't try to memorize a lot of random information, DO the math and "feel it" in your brain.

I guess..
>>
>>8896766
that is some of the best advice i have ever received. thank you.
>>
>>8896690

Practice.

You don't just "get good" at math overnight, or a semester, or a year. You have to get used to thinking in math logic, which is not the natural way the brain likes to think.
>>
>>8896690
The ugly truth is that the only way to get good at math is by practicing. I hold that if you're a generally intelligent person and you did poorly in math in high school, it's simply because you didn't spend enough time thinking conceptually about what you're doing. I also think that at many schools there are few resources to go home and review the material yourself. For me at least, a simple worksheet explaining the calculations is not going to help me understand jack shit. People who excelled in math paid attention to the homework and the teacher versus those of us who slept in class and treated the hw as a chore to be taken care of and hopefully forgotten about just as soon. The essence of the problem is that the teachers teach to the lowest common denominator (no pun) and instead of showing the extent to which pure reasoning can be fun and challenging, the class is relegated to playing with blocks to learn addition and fractions for six years. So basically just re program your mind and don't give up and you can become good enough at it.
>>
>>8896690
Spam examples
Find a source that's easy for you to understand.
>>
>>8896766
This sounds like great advice but I'm confused about how to implement it. Could you give me some actionable steps?
>>
>>8898045
Instead of reading a chapter in a textbook first, read try to solve the problems at the end without any foreknowledge. Even if you are stuck on a problem for hours (days and weeks even for higher math) you will learn much much more even if you decide to give up and read the chapter to figure out how to solve it. That's because you are going to have a fantastic "feel" for the problem after attempting solving it, and as soon as you read how it is solved it will "click" for you that much faster. Also you will appreciate how clever and/or useful it is because you spent the effort to try to do it yourself.
>>
practice, you fucking monkey

even while I shitpost on /sci/, I take breaks so I can do math, after my break I go back to shitposting again, as u can see
>>
>all these "growth mindset" idiots in this thread

Kek. You're gonna have a hard wake-up call.
>>
>>8898080
Its obvious you have never studied math in any significant depth. At some point any degree of natural talent becomes a negligible factor compared to the amount of practice needed.
>>
File: fatpieceofshit.jpg (38KB, 730x730px) Image search: [Google]
fatpieceofshit.jpg
38KB, 730x730px
>>8898080
hello guys I am gonna be having a semester of algebraic geometry i just skipped every definition and went straight to the problems they are asking me to prove that this thing is not an affine variety what's a variety and why would it be affine haha i am NOT retarded btw haha

t. this fucking retard>>8898057
>>
have decent arithmetic already
sometimes get random spurs where everything around me is going super fast for a few minutes, feels like i'm going to die.
Read somewhere that someone who had the same thing did crazy arithmetic they normally couldn't do while going through it.
How do i harness this power.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.