[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain to me the physics behind why thin road bike

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

Can someone explain to me the physics behind why thin road bike tyres can be rated for much higher maximum tyre pressures than thick mountain bike tyres?
>>
>>8888274
Stiffness/Rigidness.

Road cyclists generally only encounter flat terrain, so the tyres generally do not have to withstand impacts/changing surfaces. Hence, to maximise energy transfer to the road, the wheels are inflated as much as possible. (More rigid tire = smaller surface area to road)

Mountain bikes generally experience multiple uneven surfaces and impacts. If the tires were under great pressure from internal air, an impact could have a catastrophic effect and burst the tire. Additionally, the tires must have some amount of 'give' to allow for the changing stiffness of the terrain below them.
>>
>>8888349
Thanks, but i was asking about max pressure rating of a tyre, not optimal pressure for riding conditions.
>>
>>8888386
This is the answer you lightbulb
>>
>>8888515
Anon explains why you'd WANT higher pressure in a road tyre than an mtb tyre. Not why you CAN'T have higher pressure in an mtb tyre.
>>
>>8888526
Because that's how they designed it?
>>
>>8888386
obviously the tire wall is thicker so it can withstand higher pressure.

a rather simple deduction watson...
>>
>>8888526
>More rigid tire = smaller surface area to road
what the fuck more do you want, it's as simple as that, less surface area touching the road = less friction = lower velocity loss over time

I mean it's good to question the obvious now and then but this is just stupid
>>
>>8888528
*sigh* I give up. I guess not even /sci/ can explain this.
>>
>>8888534
>less surface area touching the road = less friction = lower velocity loss over time
What the fuck does this have to do with the question?
>>
>>8888538
Bruh the tubes are just made of different materials. It's simply af.
>>
>>8888538
Here I googled it for you because you're fucking dumb.

>Thread counts have the most impact in road tires, where tire pressure is higher. Higher thread counts allow the use of lighter materials and designs and are found in tires that offer a more comfortable ride.

Thread counts for a road bike tire start at 60 tpi (threads per inch) and go up to 320 tpi for higher-performance tires used in racing. Other tires have thread counts as low as 20 tpi. Check the specs tab on REI.com product pages to compare different tires.
>>
>>8888526

It's literally the first two words.

>Stiffness/Rigidness

Mountain bike tire isn't stiff/rigid, the internal tubes are different and made for different pressure.
>>
>>8888274
I don't know about tyres, but I do know that pipes and cylindrical vessels with identical thickness and under the same pressure experience less stress the smaller their radius is.
This >>8888349 anon's answer seems best though.
>>
>>8888515
>>8888528
>>8888531
Is this something you *KNOW* or something you just guess?

Is /sci/ being invaded by plumbers??
>>
>>8888727

please see

>>8888565
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.