[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm currently learning about matrices in university. I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: _1468267255617.jpg (3KB, 100x80px) Image search: [Google]
_1468267255617.jpg
3KB, 100x80px
I'm currently learning about matrices in university.
I feel like they are so straightforward and easy, like what the fuck... why is this in my math programme. What is the use of matrices.

I came across some sources talking about engineers using them or something. Just what the fuck, give me my calculus.
>>
linear algebra is great BECAUSE it's easy, if you can rephrase a mathematical problem into linear algebra you have tons of tools to help solve it

once you learn about groups (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_(mathematics)) you can say a lot about them using representation theory which brings in linear algebraic tools, and a very large part of modern number theory (Langlands program) is done this way
>>
Welcome to the world of brainlets, OP. You have to squander your precious time because they are too fucking stupid to understand high school concepts.
>>
linalg and matrices are a fruitful practice to develop maturity and intuition
>>
>>8887889
>>8887889
>What is the use of matrices.
They are used LITERALLY anywhere, especially in calculus (when differentiating function of multiple variables), they also are part of the theory of differential equations a very important subject both in applied and pure mathematics.

Essentially matrices are the trivial case for linear operators between vector spaces, something which is more extensively studied in functional analysis, also a very relevant topic.

Apart from that it is a good way to train people for more abstract thinking and provide them with skills they will need throughout their math career.
>>
>>8887889
We use it in numerical calculations. Its how Computers do all the magic in solving FEM-problems. Ex: if you want to caluclate the exact time the motor of a car will break under given stress, you'll simulate it on a PC using FEM-methods which in turn use matrices to solve the millions of equations necessary...
>>
>>8887889
Matrices are extremely useful.
I thought you first learnt about matrices in high school
>>
>>8887889
>>8887889
Mapping to differential equations, eigenvalue problems, all of physics. Starts to open your pee brain up to group theory
>>
>>8887889
In my experience the primary utility of matrices is as operators acting on generalized arrays, aka multiplexes
>>
>>8887889
Do americucks teach matrices before teaching what a vector space and a linear function are?
>>
>>8887889
It's the universal representation of linear transformation of finite dimension, that's a big deal, since a lot of things are linear like differentials.
>>
>>8887889
Linear algebra is useful when you mix it with calculus and forms the basis of a lot of complex mathematical analysis later on. Learn it, matrices are fucking awesome man.
>>
>>8887889
>give me my calculus
https://math.dartmouth.edu/archive/m13f09/public_html/Derivatives_as_matrices.pdf
get your mind blown sonny.

if you are in CS or any field that is statistics heavy, figuring out how to refactor a problem as a matrix multiplication is almost always step 1
>>
>>8887889

They are easy, anon. Linear algebra is so fucking good. Like no joke. It's so damn cool it makes me sperg in my pants whenever I talk about it. It's the branch of mathematics that first lit that spark for me.

Just stick with it for the time being. It gets better. You're learning the arithmetic right now. Familiarizing you with the most basic concepts. You're learning that 1+1=2. And bit by bit the curtain will be rolled back a bit more until you find you're not just learning algorithms for solving problems, but learning to speak a new language.
>>
Matrix theory is just plain neat

Wait until they teach you neat things like PCA, and eigenfaces
>>
>>8889283
Omfg, yes. Linear algebra before vector and complex analysis. Fucking bullshit ass americucks.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.