[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /sci/, I'm a newfag. Why is CS considered a meme? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: hahagetit.jpg (55KB, 535x535px) Image search: [Google]
hahagetit.jpg
55KB, 535x535px
Hi /sci/, I'm a newfag. Why is CS considered a meme?
I'm on my first year of CS and I fucking love it. I honestly didn't even went to CS after the money.

And well, I hope I don't end up as a code monkey. What are your thoughts?
>>
>>8887144
its considered a meme because the fucking p90, ump, all pistols and the scout are all broken as shit
>>
Yeah I definitely set myself up for this one lol
>>
>>8887144
It is considered a meme because it is considered as the new-age factory job.

To draw out the analogy, yes you can be a factory worker making sure the machine is working. Or you can be an engineer making sure it doesnt break. Or you can be a scientist developing new ways to accomplish the same process.

Code monkeys fall under the category of being just factory workings in the realm of STEM, at the same level or below as technicians.

Long story short, you can do brilliant things with CS but it is easier to fall into overly simplified grunt work, hence the meme.
>>
>>8887149
all memes aside do not take this board seriously, brainlet isn't a real word. if you enjoy it then you should definitely do it.
>>
>>8887146
lmfao i thought he meant csgo too...

>because the fucking p90, ump, all pistols and the scout are all broken as shit

If you're getting killed by all these you're trash. git gud. pistol rounds are cake, and if you lose to a p90 or ump on your buy round you might as well be silver 1
>>
Wow thanks for the actual answers, I expected spiderman!
Yeah I can see how it can look as "easy money" for someone who doesn't know much about the field. To some degree it is easy money, but you don't even need to be CS major to make bank with programming, all you need is an internet connection.

I'd love to be the sciencist developing the new ways of doing shit, and yeah, I find it fucking wonderful.

Thanks again :)
>>
>>8887152
Best advice. I'm starting to develop a nose for sniffing out *high schoolers* on this board, not even retarded undergrads but straight up high schoolers.
>>
>>8887154
its not that im getting killed by them, when i use them, it feels broken. when i get killed by them, it feels broken. when i watch pro games, they look broken.
>>
>>8887161

Totally, and with a CS degree you can sure as shit do exactly that.

Most of the memes on here are a reduction of the worst within the category they meme. And almost never a legitimate or clear picture as to what being in the field truly means.
>>
Thanks for that, you made my day haha.
You are right, it's hard to "stereotype" a field if you're not very deep into it.
>>
And to add that that, you can stereotype a field without knowing jack, but that makes you a dumbass.
>>
>>8887144

A BS CS degree is retarded and useless. I could teach a fifth grader to write passable. Why would anyone hire you over a STEM major that knows some actual science along with how to code?
>>
File: The truth about CS.png (89KB, 1155x409px) Image search: [Google]
The truth about CS.png
89KB, 1155x409px
>>8887144
>>
>>8887144
if you actually enjoy CS then you are already above the level of 90% of your classmates

most people in the CS major just see it as a means to an end
>>
>>8887225

Do you legitimately think that an undergraduate computer science degree only teaches you how to program? That's like saying that an undergraduate math degree only teaches you how to understand formal proofs.
>>
>>8887225
Could you elaborate? I know a lot of other STEM majors usually delve into coding sooner or later.
>>8887251
This seems to cater particularly to the states, I am however not from the USA and I find a lot of people that "shouldn't be there" in CS.
It has some truth
>>8887270
Also true :/
>>
>>8887225
CS isn't about coding. You go to a bootcamp tier school.
>>
>>8887305
True, >>8887225 seems to be either missinformed with CS or just baiting
>>
>>8887299
>I am however not from the USA

This is an important detail. In Oz and some Europe countries "CS" refers to what Burgers refer to as "CpE". And in other countries, CS is done far more rigorously than even the best of schools in Burgerland.
>>
>>8887310
He >>8887225 is baiting. He post these sort of comments in every thread. He tends to repeat himself and it's easy to recognize him.
>>
>>8887280

or an undergraduate engineering degree only teaches you how to suck dicks
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.