[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Please help me understand this whole gender identity thing /sci/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1235095411099.jpg (7KB, 90x128px) Image search: [Google]
1235095411099.jpg
7KB, 90x128px
Please help me understand this whole gender identity thing /sci/ I see people saying its mental illness, and pseudoscience with no evidence and some people saying its not and there is evidence, Im trying my best to determine fact from fiction but im not very science savvy, I tried looking up research online but after reading a few of the scholarly articles google returned, Im still pretty clueless.
>>
It's like when you are feeling stuck in a rut and get a new haircut or change your clothing style but instead of small adjustments you lop your cock off and complain about how people address you
>>
>>8885885
Science is moving from the "truth at all costs" phase of ruthless absolutism to something gentler and more humane, a science that cares about the truth, yes, but that is also willing to compromise to human nature, to create space for interpretation, and to provide a moral foundation for the next generation. What you are witnessing is the slow evolution of an autistic science to a multifaceted one.
>>
>>8885885
it's in fashion to use gender as a defining characteristic of identity

like emos or hippies before, you know? so people trying to be trendy will just make up genders and play with that

gender dysphoria though is real, transgender people do exist, but most people who claim to be nowadays aren't
>>
>>8885898
Dont listen to this retard, when Science moves away from the truth it stops being Science.
>>
>>8885898
>science is moving away from science into DIVERSITY
lmao fuck off
>>
Soooo it is pseudoscience or it isnt? Are there any articles I could read?
>>
File: tg_gay_marriage.png (185KB, 1139x291px) Image search: [Google]
tg_gay_marriage.png
185KB, 1139x291px
>>8885885
It's all a matter of "opinion" sadly.

I mean, yes, sex is generally biologically fixed. There are some unfortunate "XY" females out there (and they are getting increasingly common), and the occasional hermaphrodite, but that's it. This is something, until recently, Bill Nye "the my only real degree is in engineering" Guy was entirely willing to admit in his show - even omitting the exceptions - before Netflix decided to retrofix it.

But gender preference, on the other hand, is a whole other ball game. Any number of factors can influence that, both epigenetic ones, and purely social ones.

Which, wouldn't be so much a problem, if folks hadn't recently decide to start "identifying" by their sexual preference and begin emulating specific personas that they believe belong to those "identities".

Without those Jungian social monads, sex would be something you do, not something you are.

But alas, whenever you get extremophiles on two sides of an argument, they just drive everyone else to further and further extremes, so now we have assholes waving dildos at gay pride parades on the one side, and sign waving "god hates fags" assholes on the other, and neither is willing to accept anyone trying to stay in the middle ground.

True of so many damned things... The instinct for tribalism made civilization, but it just as often breaks it.
>>
>>8885915
>sex would be something you do, not something you are.

So you mean its all psychological? Or that nobody knows either way?
>>
>>8885909
Sex is Biology, and while not necessarily the hardest science, is still science.. Gender preference is Psychology, which is about as soft as "sciences" get.

There is *some* biology in gender preference among mammals. Most herd mammals will skew towards the same-gender preferencing when the same mother gives several consecutive male births. Something about epigenetic changes and the drain on her testosterone. This maybe incidental, or it maybe something that came about as a form of population control. Whether this is a thing in humans is still debated, but there's some studies that suggest it might be. Most male mammals, regardless of gender preference, will also practice homosexual play or dominance games, but still breed with females. You do see that behavior documented in some societies, particularly those of antiquity.

I suppose it might be a spectrum in that some folks might have a sliding preference of who or what they want to fuck from time to time and from situation to situation. Personally, however, I feel the idea of declaring a status for life is rather unnatural and largely the result of social pressure. (Even though, also personally, I just happen to find men disgusting.)

As for articles:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/12/101203-homosexual-birds-mercury-science/

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0018506X14000804

http://www.nature.com/news/epigenetic-tags-linked-to-homosexuality-in-men-1.18530

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/10/homosexuality-may-be-caused-chemical-modifications-dna

http://www.thenewatlantis.com/docLib/20160819_TNA50SexualityandGender.pdf
>>
>>8885941
In the sense that, if not for the resulting social pressures, it shouldn't matter.

I mean, this whole "does X make me gay?" thing, for instance, is a fairly recent phenomenon. Being gay or not gay wasn't generally a matter of personal identity until living memory. It maybe you could be notorious for occasionally buggering someone of the same sex behind closed doors, being particularly femme or butch, or worse, a reputation for being buggered, but it wasn't something like your skin or eye color or family name. It was just a matter of what you did, not who you were.

I mean, it's cool that we aren't jailing or burning folks for playing around anymore... But this shift from sex to "sexual identity" has really fucked things up for everyone.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.