[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sci/, I've finished my "sequences and series"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: taylor series.gif (5KB, 992x277px) Image search: [Google]
taylor series.gif
5KB, 992x277px
/sci/, I've finished my "sequences and series" course in my uni but there's something that's been bothering me for a couple of months when I saw it for the first time.

Pic related. Can somebody explain to me this miracle?

>choose a single point in the function
>derive
>derive
>derive it again
>derive
>derive
>derive
>there you go, an almost perfect approximation of your entire original function

I don't want to sound like a brainlet (inb4 you already do), but how?!?!
Maybe the mechanism isn't clear enough for me.
>>
File: IMG_8686.jpg (79KB, 813x484px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8686.jpg
79KB, 813x484px
>>8883202
thats fuckin sick, i didn't realize that happens, gonna look into this now
>>
>>8883202
This vid was pretty good at explaining it. I don't think it needs any explanation though, math is just beautiful that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUtLtRDox3c
>>
Not sure this will be a satisfactory explanation, but it's a generalization of tangent lines. In fact if you take the first two terms of the Taylor series you get the tangent line.

The tangent line is a degree 1 polynomial whose derivative matches the function. In general the kth partial sum of the Taylor series is a degree k polynomial whose first, second, ... and kth derivatives all match the function.

As you take more and more partial sums the approximation gets better and better.
>>
>>8883202
Well, the first trick with this formula is that for any given polynomial f(x), [math]\frac{f^{(n)}(0)}{n!}[/math] just gives you its nth coefficient

So for an arbitrary polynomial p(x), [math]\sum_{i=0}^{\inf} \frac{p^{(n)}(0)}{n!} x^n[/math] just gives you p(x)

Now, if we have p(x)=sin(x), for example, then we just stick [math]sin^{(n)}(0)[/math] in there, and it all works fine.
>>
File: 321.jpg (62KB, 651x258px) Image search: [Google]
321.jpg
62KB, 651x258px
Fun math problems. Find the all the zeros for the equation in the image
>>
>>8883202
>>there you go, an almost perfect approximation of your entire original function

Not really. It's just an almost perfect approximation in the neighborhood around x=0.
>>
>>8883202
It only works that way for very special functions. The chance of a generic differentiable function being real analytic on the whole line is small.
>>
>>8883202

Assuming f(x) has the form [math]f(x)=\sum a_n x^n[/math], how do you get the [math]a_n[/math]? Well [math]a_0[/math] is just f(0). What happens when you take the derivative of f(x) and the series?
>>
>>8884061
This.

Just consider that for a function on the reals, both domain and codomain are uncountable, but you consider functions that can be described with the same data as a countable vector space, ∑ a_n x^n.
>>
File: 1493793174127.jpg (38KB, 362x346px) Image search: [Google]
1493793174127.jpg
38KB, 362x346px
>>8883937
I really need to take an analysis class. I am familiar with the concepts, but have not rigorously put it all together in my head.

What's crazy is how similar and different a series expansion is to vectorspace expansions, but are emphatically not vectorspace expansions. That is specifically why it's hard to 100% buy series expansions for me, such that I am always a little suspicious of under what conditions the expansion is valid and if I have satisfied those conditions. WIth vectorspaces, shit's easy.
>>
>>8883202
it only appears to be a "miracle" because the functions that you run into in an introductory calculus class are anomalously well-behaved compared to a "general" function, like >>8884061 said.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-analytic_smooth_function
>>
>>8884694
What do points outside a radius of convergence do? Do they converge to the wrong values, or not converge at all, or some combination of the two?
>>
>>8884708
well if the distance is strictly the radius of convergence, then the series diverges. if the distance is equal to the radius, then it could conceivably diverge or converge. I don't think it can converge to the wrong value, because of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_theorem
>>
>>8884708
I'm just going off of memory from my calc class a year ago, but IIRC they usually go to +/- infinity. The graph of this series looks like the normal function within the radius of convergence, then shoots off right at the edge of it, never to be seen again.
>>
>>8884728
>then shoots off right at the edge of it, never to be seen again
That cray cray
>>
>>8883202
>differentiate*
>differentiate*
>differentiate* it again
>differentiate*
>differentiate*
>differentiate*
>>
piggot bump
>>
>>8884708
There are even some functions that outside a certain region will have a higher order taylor expansion be a worse approximation than a lesser order one. I think arctan works like this.
>>
>>8884720
I believe e^(-1/t^2) converges to the wrong value at t = 0
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.