[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how does one intuit the derivative of csc x? i can't seem

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

how does one intuit the derivative of csc x? i can't seem to find/remember it without deriving it or rote memorization. the same goes for more complicated derivatives/integrals
>>
>>8882830

Like sec but with co- and a minus sign.

d/dx[sec(x)]=sec(x)tan(x)
d/dx[csc(x)]=-csc(x)cot(x)

d/dx[tan(x)]=sec^2(x)
d/dx[cot(x)]=-csc^2(x)
>>
>>8882858
yea but that's just using mnemonic techniques for memorization. sure, a step up from rote memorization. are there not people who just sort of "see" the answer? they imagine what the derivative would look like and realize the shape is -csc(x)cot(x)?

i want to know how those people do that, if that's even something that people new to the subject can do.
>>
>>8882861

It's just the chain rule dude. It's nothing profound.

csc(x) = [sin(x)]^-1
d/dx[csc(x)] = d/dx[[sin(x)]^-1] = - [sin(x)]^-2 * cos(x) = - cos(x)/sin(x) 1/sin(x) = -cot(x)csc(x)
>>
>>8882861
No i assure you almost no one actually would see that the curve is -csc(x)cot(x) , WITHOUT maybe thinking about it and working with trig functions ALOT
>>
>>8882830
So you're not looking for methods to remember it but you're also against having to obtain it by the limit definition (guessing). What exactly are you trying to find?
>>
>>8882870
FFS, when will 4chan fix the lack of latex?
These are painful to read.
>>
>>8882992
[math]Excuse Me?[/math]
>>
>>8882861
No. There's not any useful way to visualize what the graph of a derivative looks like unless it's something incredibly easy like x^2, and even then, without seeing a highly detailed graph you could still guess wrong. Mathematicians aren't in the business of guess work, and I can't imagine any reason why anyone would have the graph of cscxcotx memorized. Derivative graphs aren't all that useful besides a few novel applications.
>>
>>8883060
Aka, stop complaining and memorize your derivative rules. You need to have the simple ones memorized at least for the duration of your calc sequence. After that you can use a calculator or the limit definition
>>
>>8882830
rewrite as 1/(sin(x)) and take the derivative
>>
>>8882992
>>8883055
https://www.mathjax.org/cdn-shutting-down/
>>
>>8882830
Integration by parts
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.