[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think there will be a real grand unified theory in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: s5cH95Y.jpg (291KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
s5cH95Y.jpg
291KB, 1920x1080px
Do you think there will be a real grand unified theory in the 21st century?
>>
No, because the possibility that physical laws change at different scales can't be ruled out.
>>
>>8880101
If I was trying to come up with the dumbest fucking answer to this question it would be this one.

Anyway, I think it's possible that it could happen very soon. Fields like string theory and quantum loop gravity seem to be so close to making major breakthroughs.
>>
>>8880101
couldn't that change be accounted for in the universal theory if that was true?
>>
>>8880097
No because I do not believe they are all unified.
>>
File: streiggt.jpg (79KB, 680x1019px) Image search: [Google]
streiggt.jpg
79KB, 680x1019px
>>8881072
>they
I'd advice against being physical realist like that.
Just like force is at best an integral over lots of data in quantum mechanics (where there's only states being evolved by some energy operator), or mass is just a conglomerate of coefficients in a energy density (Lagrangian) summed up in this and that way, we have no good reason to believe any of the words in out theory thus far have physical significance at the bottom. Neither, even if there is a "real theory" would it have to be comprehensible (e.g. small Kolmogorov complexity) to humans. Say there are such things as particles and each and everyone follow their own rule, who happen to be similar enough that we form a theory where they follow some relatively simple differential equation, or whatnot. Humans may remain under the illusion that individual particles don't follow incomprehensible rules.
Following the same lines, even if there are fundamental interactions, and even if they are not unified, doesn't rule out we can't work out a good unified theory. Just like Newtonian mechanics is a good theory with many illusionary concepts, there are just averages of notions in a more microscopic theory.
>>
>>8880097
We already have one
>>
Grand unified conjectures exist, we just lack the experimental means to verify them.
>>
>>8881191
If each particle follows its own rule how come they seem to all follow newtonian physics in the macro scale?
>>
>>8881548
>Grand unified conjectures exist, we just lack the experimental means to verify them.
quoted for truth
>>
>>8881069
Not necessarily. Would a universal theory be able to account for physical laws in other universes for example? If the laws scale to an infinite/infinitesimal degree, then we would be unlikely to capture that in a single theory.
>>
>>8882325
Are you in middle school or something? You seem to have a very poor grasp of what you are talking about.

t. math grad student
>>
>>8880101
String Theory doesn't a priori depend of scale. Yeah the string length is generally around the Planck length, but it is connected to the string coupling constant. And despite being called constants, couplings tend to vary with renormalization and such.
>>
>>8880097
What would the world be like today if everyone in this photograph never existed?

>asking for a friend
>>
>>8881191
this, the father of the modern scientific method also thinks that way (Newton). Science does not discover the universe, it describes it.
>>
>>8881573
weird probability effects, see

https://youtu.be/v1GdgD77AQ4?t=9m20s
>>
>>8882811
Probably about 35-50 years behind.
>>
>>8883866
Cassiopeia project hell yeah nigga
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.