[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the science behind taste? Is there an objective way

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: original.jpg (49KB, 500x475px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
49KB, 500x475px
What is the science behind taste?
Is there an objective way to measure how good someone's taste is?
>>
yes

frogposters are bottom of the barrel worst taste
>>
>>8879839
>Is there an objective way to measure how good someone's taste is?
Whether they like Kanye West.
>>
>>8879839
Taste as in the sense; the taste buds on the tongue?
>>
I can help op.
Now, are you referring to taste as in food/flavors etc? Or you talking about personal preferences with regard to aesthetics and shit?

If the former, the field is called Psycophysics and overlaps with the Food Science branch of Sensory Analysis.

If the latter, then to each their own I guess
>>
>>8879839
if you're not talking about gustatory taste, read up on theories of aesthetics, or just browse the entires on the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. I don't know how "objective" you'll find it, but this is something that smart people have been thinking about for thousands of years.
>>
File: 1493785759887.jpg (214KB, 1200x825px) Image search: [Google]
1493785759887.jpg
214KB, 1200x825px
>>8879839
for once, I actually have an image for this.
>>
File: 1475034588744.jpg (89KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1475034588744.jpg
89KB, 1000x800px
>>8880117
>tfw you save a weird image then find the perfect thread for it years later
>>
>>8879839
read The Standards of Taste by David Hume.
>>
Search "super tasters " yes there is science behind it
>>
File: 263.jpg (36KB, 405x343px) Image search: [Google]
263.jpg
36KB, 405x343px
>>8879839
>Not knowing of the obvious definition...

[math]\mathbb{Definition:}[/math]
[math] \text{ The taste ratio of a person denoted P is given by }[/math]

[math]\mathcal{R}_{ Taste} := \frac{\#(A\cap B)-\#(A\cap B^\complement)}{\#B}[/math]

[math]\text{Where } A:=\{x: \text{ P likes }x\} \text{ and } B:= \{x: \text{ I like }x\}[/math]
>>
>>8879839
> Is there an objective way to measure how good someone's taste is?

draw a standardized circle on tongue
count tastebuds
>>
>experiment with non-sweet tastes
>everything turned out bitter than expected
>>
Umami > Bitter > Salty > Sweet
>>
>>8879839
read the wikipedia page, it's pretty straight-forward, goodness of taste is rather subjective though, "bitterness" originally existed to be able to detect poisonous substances, to avoid them, yet the taste is found all throughout cuisine and beverages in modern human cultures.

So it depends on experience, what you're raised with and what decisions you make.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taste
>>
>>8881485
not so fast!

sensations (unrelated to taste buds) and smell - both of which heavily affect the final "taste".
>>
>>8880117
>I-T
>S-N
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.