[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /sci/ I'm currently a cs major (and usually lurk on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: antique_1.jpg (39KB, 480x556px) Image search: [Google]
antique_1.jpg
39KB, 480x556px
Hey /sci/

I'm currently a cs major (and usually lurk on /g/) but I realized my passion lies in mathematics, not computers. I think I'm gonna switch but I'm a bit scared. Any math majors wanna share their stories? Tips?
>>
>>8879525
In the exact same situation bump
>>
>>8879525
Just talk to professors. Seriously. Talk to people in both departments. If you don't know who to talk to, look up a [freshman/sophomore] advisor on their websites, or email the admin secretaries or whatever for each dept.

Get an appointment and sit down and talk to them. They'll ask what classes you've taken and how well you did in them, be honest the whole way. These are people who have chosen careers or roles in which one of their duties is to help students; they want to help you (unless you try to talk to some random prof who's only interested in research, but even that's unlikely).
>>
You can still be a good programmer with a math degree, but programmers are almost never good at math.
>>
>>8879525
That's a good idea. Will do this.

>>8879614
Very true. That gives me confidence.
>>
File: 1457338359074.png (90KB, 217x303px) Image search: [Google]
1457338359074.png
90KB, 217x303px
Don't know what to say. I am finishing my bachelor's in pure mathematics in a year, then switching over to actuarial sciences (or w/e it's called in English). Have you had a more formal mathematics course? Like real analysis, or perhaps algebra (since you're coming from CS). I just hope you know what you mean when you say that your passion is mathematics.
>>
>>8879641
I took up to calculus in high school, and I was required to take linear algebra this year as part of my CS degree. What do you mean by real analysis?
>>
>>8879656
Yeah, the mathematics you will be doing if you study mathematics (analysis, algebra (abstract, commutative etc), topology) is nothing like calculus and linear algebra. Idk man, pick up baby Rudin, go through the first three chapters, do the exercises, see if you like what you see.
>>
>>8879664
Just did that and yep. Still like it. In fact I was surprised to see overlap between my CS math class and this book. A lot of proofs.
>>
>>8879525
I transferred from software engineering to math three semesters ago, and it was the best decision of my life. I made the switch because everything I like about programming is just something I like about math, but with no tolerance for syntax mistakes.
>>
>>8880138
>>8879614
Thanks anons. I feel more confident now.
>>
>>8879641
Poor gosu
>>
>>8879525
Switch to stats/applied math (stochastic calculus, probability/ML) and if allowed take as many algorithm design and analysis courses as possible, at the senior undergrad or grad level.

There will be a Quant/algorithmic trading job available to you on Wallstreet after you graduate paying lots of money. Places like Jane Street Capital and Two Sigma hire new grads. They especially like grads who can translate Matlab/R/Sagemath into algorithms for HFT or just reg algorithmic trading strategies.

If you really like math then after you save up a bunch of money working in finance go back to grad school and get a masters in math/finance, then walk out a full Quant and begin your esteemed career crashing this economy with no survivors for mass profit.
>>
>>8880138
Try functional programming, it's directly related to math. A type is a specification (proposition) and the actual program itself is the proof. https://functionalcs.github.io/curriculum/

Sussman also has a few books translating Lagrange equations to programs like SICM or Functional Differential Geometry
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.