[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How dire is depletion of non-renewable resources? Is a collapse

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: The Limits to Growth.jpg (83KB, 763x487px) Image search: [Google]
The Limits to Growth.jpg
83KB, 763x487px
How dire is depletion of non-renewable resources? Is a collapse in the living standards likely to happen this century?
>>
>>8878555
I've read stuff saying that within a few decades we'll run out of vital rare earth metals that are required in many kinds of technology. How true is this?
>>
Non-renewable resources don't exist... Its all a matter of how much energy you are willing to spend to reuse them.
And when energy costs become prohibitively high, you can also find alternatives.
>>
>>8879150
>Non-renewable resources don't exist... Its all a matter of how much energy you are willing to spend to reuse them.

How much energy do we have then? Solar and wind are unreliable, and as of now inefficient, aren't they?
>>
>>8879165
How many wind farms are there? Its unreliable because there are cheaper alternatives for base load. Build enough turbines and its on all the time, same for solar... With enough industrial resources dedicated to any of these, they could be made reliable.
Also you have space based solar, with microwave beam down, not used because of cheaper alternatives...
From Sun alone we are sitting on 1KW per sq meter
>>
>>8878555
i find it hard to believe that none of those graphs go into plateau
>>
>>8878555
Semi dire, living standards wont go down, they will just change. Instead of traveling somewhere for vacation you will be entertained at home or locally via technology. Food wont be an issue for 1st world countries. Population decline isn't a bad thing.
>>
>>8879232
In the scenario pictured on the graph population decline is due to famine and worsening health care, kind of a bad things desu.
>>
>>8879241
Yeah but you don't live in Africa or Asia do you?

South America will also suffer a bit
>>
>>8879149
literally none ? China is just the only country that raelly invested in producing rare metals, thats all

They are very common, they just don't concentrate into "ores" like iron or coal or w/e
>>
>>8879198
> Build enough turbines and its on all the time, same for solar...
What sort of economy are you running when the supply of electricity is 50+ cents a kwh
With regular blackouts when wind stops blowing
>>
>>8878555
nothing says "accurate measurement" of industrial output more than a smooth increase right through the great depression
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.