[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does/sci/ think of BSc economics degree? https://le.ac

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 1297559186426.jpg (26KB, 430x388px) Image search: [Google]
1297559186426.jpg
26KB, 430x388px
What does/sci/ think of BSc economics degree?

https://le.ac.uk/courses/economics-bsc

>Link related
>>
I dunno but I go to this uni lol
>>
>>8877755
Topkek

What do you study and what year?
>>
What does/sci/ think of B.Econ. economics degree?

https://carleton.ca/economics/undergraduate-studies/b-econ-honours/

>Link related
>>
BSc Econ is not science

With such a degree you have two options, get a corporate job or go to graduate school.

If you take a corporate job you can expect to work with extremely simplistic financial models doing basic calculations and bookkeeping functions for a business, you won't even need to know calculus, you'll never use anything more advanced than Excel or maybe R or SAS if you're lucky. You will earn a middle class salary and if you keep at it for a decade or two or get an MBA you can expect to earn six figures.

If you continue to graduate school you need to take some math as well, preferably more math than is required for the degree, from looking over the page you linked it looks like your school doesn't have too much math in the BSc although at a top program it would cover it. You should double major with math or at least do a minor in math or CS. Grad school will be similar to any other STEM discipline, rigorous coursework that involves a lot of proofs as well as tedious research that involves a bit of programming and a huge amount of digging through data and looking at results. Don't even try it unless you are good at math and genuinely interested in economics. Your options with a PhD are similar to other useful STEM subjects like chemistry or physics, you can do research, for a university or private institute, or work in industry, and outside of academia you can expect to be paid a bit more than other subjects, although in light of the years of work it takes to get to this point that's relatively unimportant compared to your own interest.
>>
>>8877790
I am already enrolled in the course and about to take my second semester exams.

It seems the best option is to get a job and then have them (company) fund for my masters and PhD in economics.

Is the course (in OP) really lacking mathematics? And also how much debt would i be in if i were to self fund (from grants and other univeristy and outside source of funding) in the UK?

And finally this degree would be able to get me into data analytics or machine learning? (How fucked am i?)
>>
>>8877934
>It seems the best option is to get a job and then have them (company) fund for my masters and PhD in economics.
No, that doesn't really make sense. A master's in economics is typically a terminal degree for someone with a corporate job in the situation you describe, or looking for a government job. A PhD qualifies you for research and a whole host of other jobs doing completely different things that there is simply no BSc position related.

Also the general practice with PhDs is that the university funds your study in return for you teaching undergrads as a TA, this is true for most any field.

So if you are interested in the PhD route, don't commit to being a slave to one corporate job for a decade.

>Is the course (in OP) really lacking mathematics?
It's not that it's lacking, it actually looks pretty rigorous for an undergrad econ program and would prepare you perfectly well for a job. It's just that graduate level economics involves a much higher level of math which will be a challenge to adjust to if you haven't done some proofs-based math classes already.

Can't help you with funding in the UK, I graduated with no debt in Florida.

>And finally this degree would be able to get me into data analytics or machine learning? (How fucked am i?)
Well so long as you learn some programming on your own and are ok with doing extremely basic repetitive low level database work it can qualify you for a data analyst job. But honestly that will be even more boring than just working in business with a comparable level of pay. Machine learning you would definitely need some outside course with specialization in CS, the econ degree alone wouldn't even get you into a masters program tbqh.
>>
>>8877746
You can get a job as a corporate propagandist, but you'll never be a scientist.
>>
File: 1489685844134.jpg (285KB, 2109x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1489685844134.jpg
285KB, 2109x1000px
>>8877977
Science has stagnated since 2013 anyway, literally zero advances that improve our way of life.

Modern science is nihilist propaganda that only pulls us further from God and closer to our inevitable death. Ageing cure research should be our top priority
>>
>>8877950
What degree/masters/PhD have you studied?

Can i get into big data with this degree?

Is mathematics/acturial science the most superior degree and i made a mistake as i will never be as close to a truly intelectual persuit?

You have been very enlightening, thanks anon.
>>
>>8878037
I have BA/BS econ/math, MS in financial mathematics.

'Big data' is a corporate buzzword. There is a whole range of things that are technically 'big data', from cool shit like machine learning in self driving cars to the most inanely boring shit you can imagine like taking a database with a billion entries hand typed by some semi literate third worlder making the 30 different misspellings of country names line up.

Needless to say it is extremely hard to get the former type of job, not so hard to get the latter but why would you want to.

>Is mathematics/acturial science the most superior degree and i made a mistake as i will never be as close to a truly intelectual persuit?
Actuarial science is bullshit. You are counting numbers to make corporate balance sheets line up it is no more intellectual than data analyst. Certainly there is no math involved. It is probably easier money than going the econ route but not necessarily more money and at least with an econ PhD you are doing something slightly more interesting.

but yes i do feel the same as you about pure math. but i'm not smart enough to do pure math research, so better to be one of the smartest guys in econ than another brainlet in math right
>>
>>8877746
It's a social "science", go end yourself brainlet.
>>
>>8877746
My parents are economists. Economists are smart people. I don't think you should worry about whether economics is a science. People will always be hatin' and misunderstanding the economist, you shouldn't care what the plebs think.
>>
>>8879122
Economics is the closest modern day equivalent to alchemy there is
>>
>>8879122
This. People obsessed over whether a discipline is considered 'scientific' lack genuine curiosity about the world. They are only willing to explore areas of research where they feel validated as 'scientists', forgetting that neither physics, chemistry nor biology shed much light on the laws operating in social systems. Unless one defends the idea that we should not study societies, which is an incredibly obscurantist position, one has to accept the legitimacy of disciplines such as economics.
>>
>>8879285
Makes sense. Our family had a lot of money, and alchemists could turn lead to gold :^)
>>
File: 1491688273238.gif (930KB, 270x270px) Image search: [Google]
1491688273238.gif
930KB, 270x270px
>>8877996
Why not space? Bring forth a new era of exploration. Even 95% of the earth's oceans are unexplored and that's not even accounting for the inner crust of the earth. I'd say exploration would also be a top priority alongside anti aging studies.
>>
>>8877765
I'm doing my third year of psychology
pretty cheesed off since Leicester plunged in the league tables the year I arrived, but it's okay
>>
>>8877746
>Economics
>Leicester
M8 you're a brainlet
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.