[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's up /sci/, i have a question for anyone who is a comp

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0539.jpg (358KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0539.jpg
358KB, 1080x1080px
What's up /sci/, i have a question for anyone who is a comp sci stud or just anyone who is generally into programing.

I am a third year student at a major university, and my current major is applied mathematics. I am formally a mechanical engineering major but i soon switched out because i got my ass kicked in programing classes.

Out of all of the classes i have taken so far, i stuggle SO hard with programing. I took a basic Mat-Lab class my freshman year & i got a low C, even with my best effort. Now i am seeing that my major will require more programming down the road & I am scared shitless. It just doesn't come naturally to me, and i can't seem to write some of the simplest programs without an aid helping me get through it. I study & i even try home projects just for fun to expand my skills, but i feel stuck. I just don't understand why, i have aced all my math (Calc 1-Difeq), most of my stats classes & I always heard that the two fields of study go hand in hand. But, I feel as if my programing is holding me back from applying my math skills.

Any advice for strengthening my programing problem solving?

>Pic unrelated
>>
Shameless self bump
>>
>>8874463

Read an intro to programming book and do the exercises like "C++: How to Program". It will eventually click.
>>
>>8874463
>>8874490
Dude, you're just in the 2nd page, calm down.

Anyway, I don't have any experience on programming and shit like that but you should ask on /g/ as well.
Make a thread there or search on the respective programming threads so they may help you.
But I don't guarantee it.

And /sci/ will help you soon, see >>8874496
however remember this board is kind of slow but sadly it's a little faster because of the shitposting about Nye.
>>
>>8874490
check out /g/ for the programming thread. most of /g/ is literal shit but some of the generals have good information and intelligent people willing to help out.

also be aware the current time really impacts the answers you will get
>>
>applied mathematics
Carrying out the computations is the job of the machine. Your job as a programmer is to describe the outcome you want and prove that the instructions you give actually lead to your desired outcome.

The parts of math that are closer to programming include logic, proofs (induction + recursion), number theory, combinatorics (plus the more combinatorial parts of statistics) and, if you decide to venture down that rabbit hole, category theory / type theory.

One thing you can try, as a math student, is to get more practice at proving theorems (proofs and programs are very closely related, but that's for another thread). Project Euler may be a good place for you to try that.

Also pic related
>>
>>8874496
I have some textbooks and some "self help" intro to programming books. The individual step (loops, lists, etc.) make sense. But putting it all together to make a useful program is where I lack. I think of programming more as an art more than a tool, because you can write a thousand different programs to do the same task.

Maybe I'm just not creative enough to think it though.

>>8874499
>>8874500
Ah, thanks m8s. Usually don't post in sci, I'll try g.
>>
>>8874505
Yes, I've used Euler for some ideas.

I don't have much experience with proofs other than linear algebra where they were super simple ones. But I can see the connection, now that you mention it. Never thought of it that way.
>>
>>8874512
>But putting it all together to make a useful program is where I lack

Felt the same way starting out. You just have to get used to thinking in terms of loops/conditionals/etc. In a year or two, you'll look back and wonder how you ever struggled.
>>
>>8874505
Found this book on a bus when I was 15. Fell in love with the Tower of Hanoi. Became a phrenologist. (Bump.) Never looked back.
>>
>>8874463
Programming is sadly unlike most sciences is more of a skill. So what you do is you get some exercises and try them, get your ass handed to you. Find someone who is better ask them what you did wrong, fix and repeat. Do this and your brain will start to see patterns. After enough patterns it will be so much more easier. You will be doing ACM problems for fun. Hope this helps.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.