[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Name one problem in competer """""""""""""'""""science""""""""""

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

File: 1455826866026.png (426KB, 600x630px) Image search: [Google]
1455826866026.png
426KB, 600x630px
Name one problem in competer """""""""""""'""""science"""""""""""""" aka applied autism that couldn't be solved by any mathematician who cared in 5 seconds flat. I'll wait.
>>
fizz buzz
moving decimal places
tab vs spaces
>>
>>8869176
p VERSUS np
>>
>>8869182
that will be solved by a mathematician tho
>>
>>8869186
5 seconds are out tho
>>
File: float2str.png (50KB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
float2str.png
50KB, 1152x648px
>>8869176
Rounding to 2 decimal places.
>>
>>8869186
>mathematician who cared in 5 seconds flat.

Honestly, the black guy in the image has a higher IQ then you.
>>
>>8869176
Hi /b/
>>
>>8869190
>>8869193
yes but I just wanted to point out it will be a mathematician's solution.
>>
>>8869176
>>8869186
A computer scientist is a mathematician.

What's your point?
>>
>>8869872
kys pleb
>>
>>8869176
Automated theorem solvers which use SAT solving to prove things that mathematicians couldn't prove given centuries of collective thought.
>>
>>8869191
\frac{\left \lfloor {100}{x} \right \rfloor}{100}
>>
>>8869176
developing and maintaining a complex information processing systems would be on my list
>>
>>8870072
lmao the SAT is easy as fuck you don't need computers to solve it
>>
>>8870160
All NP-Complete problems can be composed as a Boolean SAT problem, try solving the traveling salesmen problem with all cities in the U.S. by composing it as a SAT question and then tell me how long it takes you to finish by hand.
>>
>>8869176
sum of all primes below 2 million is still one of the most famous unsolved problems on /g/
>>
>>8870184
>Fucking idiots CS majors all you can do is fizzbuzz
>No I can't implement fizzbuzz, I'm not a stupid CS major why would I want to?
>I could if I wanted to
>>
>>8869176
>Name one problem in competer """""""""""""'""""science"""""""""""""" aka applied autism that couldn't be solved by any mathematician who cared in 5 seconds flat. I'll wait.

Writing some shitty 10k SLOC program for his pajeet boss, getting paid barely above minimum wage.
>>
>>8870199
Average software engineer makes more than average {*} Engineer

I make 6 figures kys
>>
>>8869176
using object oriented programming techniques
knowing what a function is and when to use it

I've seen this far too often
>>
>it's another "math majors at shitty state schools attack computer science" thread

Just declaring as a math major at Chattahoochie Polytechnic doesn't put you in the same league as Terry Tao.
>>
>>8870948
Mathematicians and scientists write the WORST code every, all they think about is getting it good enough to run then never touching it again
>>
>>8870212
Have fun getting replaced by some Indian in the next 5 years then.

There are people out there who are as good as you, but work for a fraction for your wages, most of them come from India.

Programming is such an easy think that even the stupid Indians can understand and get good at it. Your life is basically fucked, your major is about as good as liberal arts.
>>
>>8870948
>knowing what a function is
No computer """""""""""""scientist""""""""""""""" understands as much about functions as a mathematician.

>object oriented programming techniques
5 minutes googling is enough to understand that.
>>
>>8869176
they aren't tribes you autistic fuck, they cross over heavily.
>>
kek

Why does CS get math majors so butthurt?

I really don't understand the inferiority complex. Is it the higher wages and employment in CS?

It's funny but at this point it's just getting sad.
>>
File: 1436882070124170597.jpg (25KB, 400x386px) Image search: [Google]
1436882070124170597.jpg
25KB, 400x386px
>>8871952
>CS
>employment
>>
>>8871954
If you're gonna bash CS then at least give legitamite arguments. Otherwise you end up looking like a butthurt math major who still can't find work.

Really though, why does CS make you so mad? Why the inferiority complex?
>>
>>8870134
WTF is that? APL without the special character set?
>>
>>8869176
https://projecteuler.net/problem=22

This is actually one of the easiest problems on the site, but it illustrates a problem with trying to use pure math to solve a problem wherein not every input is directly expressible as a quantity and where you may be given a large non-pattern-conforming set to work with.
>>
File: US_BLS_STEM_JobsVsGrads-2020.png (164KB, 2156x1200px) Image search: [Google]
US_BLS_STEM_JobsVsGrads-2020.png
164KB, 2156x1200px
>>8871954
>stuff
I'm not even cs, but i know how this shit goes. I've got a friend who's gotten endless calls from Indian companies asking him to work for them ever since he made a Linkedin that includes his class projects up to his senior year.
>>
The best Computer Scientists where Mathematicians

The best Mathematicians where Mathematicians.

think about that...
>>
>>8872026
>The best Mathematicians where Mathematicians.
Nope, they were physicists.
>>
>>8872015
Whats the difference between software engineering and computer science?
>>
>>8872062
Isaac Newton was an Elder God, not a physicist. Aside from him, you have Pythagoras, Euler, Leibniz, Fermat, Hilbert, Ramanujan, Riemann

Oh, and I'm not forgetting Alan Turing. Math has not only had the jump on CS by millennia, but CS came from math that was overlayed upon physics. CS, in its most basic form, is applied control theory over long series of logic gates. The actual interface between the low-level control theory and the more surface-level CS is the domain of the software engineer.
>>
File: 1448122803939.jpg (44KB, 301x267px) Image search: [Google]
1448122803939.jpg
44KB, 301x267px
>>8870172
>salesmen problem

It's the first unsolved problem I was introduced to.
>>
I'm just a stupid biologist. But reading this thread, am I right in estimating that CS is an applied version of math? Not dissimilar to what Bioinformatics is to Biochemistry? If so, then allow me to rephrase the OP:

Why one would on ever drive a vehicle, when Usaine Bolt can run faster with just his legs?
To which the answer is: Because Usaine Bolt can't take everyone to work.
>>
>>8872100
Well I certainly cocked up the english on that. Hope you can forgive me.
>>
>>8872100
Pfft biology, go study a fucking leaf.
>>
>>8871743
>replaced by indian in 5 years
>trump will be prez for 8 and ivanka another 8 aftet
>Not realizing tht no enginnering job is hiring pajets since trump got collected
>literally every job posting even amazon says no pajeets allowed

Who eles here 23 making 180k/yr as a sr react dev n ddnt go to college

Feelsgoodman chad out
See u losers later going to let ur stacey finish me off
>>
>>8872100
How exactly is bioinformatics "applied" biochemistry you fucking noob?
>>
>>8872100
theres alot of problems in math that can be solved with computers basically
>>
>>8871743
>Programming is such an easy think that even the stupid Indians can understand and get good at it

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>8869186
>>8869190
>>8869182
>>8869193
>>8869854
took me less than 5 (<5 in mathematics speak)

P=1 or N=0
>>
>>8869176
>any mathematician who cared in 5 seconds flat

I doubt that most mathematicians could quickly and independently develop the full body of theory that's used to construct LL and LR parsers.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be possible for a mathematician to do this -- I'm just saying that developing that entire theoretical framework from scratch would probably take a significant amount of time. The construction techniques employ a clever usage of automata and stacks, and the way those two things interact is not trivial.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.