/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does an EMP work? People keep saying russians are going

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Kurt-Vonnegut.jpg (85KB, 600x772px) Image search: [Google]
Kurt-Vonnegut.jpg
85KB, 600x772px
How does an EMP work?

People keep saying russians are going to take down the grid with EMPs and I think it's not possible to take the whole grid down for more than a few hours.

But I don't understand EMPs and I don't feel like reading the wikipedia article. Wouldn't the pulse only last a second or so and then things would return to normal?
>>
>>8866836
The nuclear reaction releases electromagnetic energy which essentially surges all electronics and wrecks them.
>>
also, could you some how change the polarity of the ocean water with an electro magnetic pulse and fuck up the missile defense system?

I think the russians might be sneaking bombs around the coastline of the US to disable our defenses to allow for a millitary strike.
>>
EMP is like a fat guy jumping in the pool creating an explosion of waves. But then imagine it in 3D in the electromagnetic field on all frequencies of the spectrum. This can disrupt a lot of shit, and if it includes ionizing radiation [frequencies higher than visible light] it could cause cancer as well like with an atom bomb.
>>
>>8866838
What does that even mean though

Wireless electricity needs a compatible device

>>8866841
how long do the waves last though?
>>
>>8866844
Because it's magnet waves it can get into the wires where the electricity is being held in any device.
>>
>>8866844
depends. with an atom bomb it's like a quick flash, but you can also create constant streams for instance like in radio jammers.
>>
>>8866851
what in the fuck

>>8866858
yeah I think it would need to be a repeating pulse to be really effective. My IQ is 96 though so...
>>
>>8866862
If they do just one pulse, I'm guessing all fuses will blow and you'll have no power for a bit.
To really disrupt something where it starts effecting lives, they'll have to keep blasting EMPs but that would cost a lot of money.

Also I don't see a reason for Russians to do this. The Russians don't seem to want any war. [then again, international politics is not the center of interest for me atm. but the Russians are blamed all the time]
>>
>>8866862
Was reading up this, Wikipedia has a pretty cool article you should read it. I think the leading pulse has to be huge in all cases, but whatever follows after that defines the type of emp weapon (there's loads of concepts)
>>
>>8866884
link?
>>
>>8866836
It would be impossible to take the whole grid down since they can't possibly cover the entire spectrum.
>>
File: empessentially.jpg (126KB, 920x748px) Image search: [Google]
empessentially.jpg
126KB, 920x748px
>>8866862
Essentially this.
>>
>>8866925
so itll fuck up all the purple things

shit
>>
>>8866891
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse
>>
>>8866930
Well the purple was electricity but shown in a more physical way.
>>
>>8866938
Wikipedia articles can be edited by anyone, which makes it a spectrum.
>>
>>8866836
> How does an EMP work?

> But I don't understand EMPs and I don't feel like reading the wikipedia article.

/sci/ - Science and Mathematics
>>
A nuke detonated over an area will generally fry all non-hardened electronics generally within LOS of the blast.

The other effects of said nuke are worst for the area, though.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.