[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think someone who genuinlly loves math should pursue a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1486592943211.png (993KB, 591x960px) Image search: [Google]
1486592943211.png
993KB, 591x960px
Do you think someone who genuinlly loves math should pursue a math degree even if they're not naturally good at it?

Should someone of a low IQ stick to a vocational job or study hard and pursue something they love even if their brain isn't best suited for it?
>>
>>8865461
I was also wondering this so have a bump friendo
>>
>>8865461
math is a language you have to practice to be good at it
>>
>>8865474
Even intelligent people? I feel like I have to study much more than anyone else.
>>
I would be wary of going into either of the Big Two (physics or math) if your IQ is below 120, even if you really like the subject. Even 130 is iffy. I've known plenty of Mensafags (top 2% of the population) who struggled like mad getting math degrees even though they had the motivation.
>>
>>8865512
Well if someone who has a great IQ and passion for the subject can't even succeed why should I even try?

I guess I'll just keep working in IT. Thanks man.
>>
>>8865521
You're most welcome.
>>
File: 1465257272432.jpg (34KB, 300x365px) Image search: [Google]
1465257272432.jpg
34KB, 300x365px
>>8865521
Fuck that shit, OP. If you wanna do it then do it, and I'm not memeing. You won't be guaranteed success and maybe you won't win, but fuck if you wanna do it then do it.
>>
>>8865623
Ahh... Damn...

Maybe you're right. My professors say I'm a good student and I understand the concepts and logic but say I'm slow.

Maybe I will just stick with it until I hit a wall.
>>
>>8865521
I'm trying, i'm not that good but i'm doing my best if I still fail in the end in the future I will not look back in regret
>>
>>8865655
Right on, that's the attitude I should have. We can do it fellow brainlet.
>>
OP keep on going if it is truly your passion. I love math and phisyics how ever I was always the slowest in class and I never ask questions do to that. I hated school and still do. I graduated last year and have just been working but in my free time I have been teaching myself chemistry and calculus because it's my passion so keep going. Also their have been many great scientist and mathematician who have made great contributions to society without a degree.
>>
>>8865707
>I was always the slowest in class and I never ask questions
This hits home friend. Glad you're doing what you love in your spare time. What dod you graduate with? What's your current job?
>>
>>8865461
Most math degrees are wasted on dumb shit. Look for the most profitable field that at least tangentially relates to your interest. What about "professional gambler"?
>>
>>8865639
Until you hit a wall?
Brainlet.
Seriously though, in cringe speak, hit that wall back even harder.
>>
>>8865461
Virtually nobody is "naturally good at math". At best, some pick up math at a younger age due to better discipline and opportunity to learn it. Even if you don't fit into this category, you can catch up, it's not a race. IQ is essentially meaningless as well.

Barring serious mental barriers (I'm talking actual learning disabilities or problems with reasoning which constitute a disorder), anyone in principle can get good at math. All that is needed is serious dedication over a long period of time, and the right sort of approach (meaning focus on understanding rather than memorization). Failure in math is due to either: (1) lack of self-confidence, people tend to believe they are not naturally good and give up before trying, or (2) lack of self discipline, you really need to be consistent and dedicated to succeed.

Last thing to add is that if you need to spend more time to "get it", that's ok. Just spend that time and keep at it, and I promise you will eventually get better. Again, it's not a race, it's ok if people pick it up faster. At worst it might take you a year or two longer to master all the content you want to learn. In the end that's not going to matter.
>>
>>8865738
I believe I can succeed if you are right. I study wth intent on understanding and spend a lot of time studying. I'm doing well currently I was just afraid my slow speed was a sign to quit before it gets hard. But now I'm not afraid.
>>
>>8865738
yeah this makes sense
>if you need to spend more time to "get it", that's ok
getting good at it definitely takes years of dedication, if you take a couple of months longer it's no biggie, also practice makes you better at getting it than you were at first
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.