[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the most important postulate in mathematics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: 1382760457000.gif (82KB, 478x358px) Image search: [Google]
1382760457000.gif
82KB, 478x358px
What's the most important postulate in mathematics that has no proof?
>>
1+1=2
>>
x=x (1)
>>
File: 1plus1.jpg (30KB, 526x199px) Image search: [Google]
1plus1.jpg
30KB, 526x199px
>>8862128

at least there is this
>>
>>8862137
Godel BTFO that shit.
>>
abc conjecture
>>
Navie stokes. Everything else is autistic jerk off.
>>
>>8862126
>does an odd perfect number exist
Will unlock the secrets of the universe and make all the panties around you automatically wet once you solve it.
>>
>>8862160
Navier-Stokes is a meme

Numerical methods are all you'll ever need
>>
File: IMG_2039.jpg (117KB, 1000x847px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2039.jpg
117KB, 1000x847px
>>8862151
>He hasn't even mastered Hodge Theaters
>>8862176
>He doesn't know that mathematicians are mostly interested in PDEs to see the path to their solutions than the solutions themselves.
>>
I think the Riemann hypothesis. There are surprisingly many results that follow from it and most people assume it is probably going to turn out true, yet no one really knows.
>>
>>8862126
P = NP
>>
Consistency of ZFC
>>
>>8862786
This
>>
>>8862786
Exactly this.

/thread
>>
>>8862137
You have to be retarded to believe a nonsense garbage text mess of symbols proves "1+1=2"

1+1=2 cant be proven by text and symbols. It can be proven with experience and observation.
>>
>>8862168
>Will unlock the secrets of the universe and make all the panties around you automatically wet once you solve it.

I remember when I was a kid I heard about this through numberphile and now in analytic number theory perfect numbers were discussed briefly and I can't stop thinking about them.

Why are they so hard to grasp? Why can't I characterize the properties of odd perfect numbers other than the trivial ones (must be odd, must be perfect). It makes me angry.
>>
>>8862786
+1
>>
>>8864479

that pic is no proof

but its something you could show an alien to explain why 1+1=2
>>
>>8862770
>>8862786
Either of these
>>
>>8862126
>postulate
>that has no proof
That's the definition of a postulate. That's what postulating means.
>>
>>8864522
What do some of those symbols mean? I'm not familiar with a lot of the notation
>>
that [math]0\neq 1[/math]
>>
>>8862146
this statement is false
>>
>>8864788
It's the notation used on Russel's principia mathematica, I think wikipedia has it in a list somewhere.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.