[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've extended my PhD already by 3 months to write up. I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

I've extended my PhD already by 3 months to write up. I am overwhelmed by writing and report writing in general. I feel like I'm average-above average intelligence and a good researcher, but I can't put my thoughts on paper. moreover, I feel like I don't have an extensive vocabulary, and spend far too long looking for thesaurus alternative words. anyone with experience getting a PhD done during the final stages?
>>
>>8855027
What's your PhD in? STEM writing is meant to be terse. Don't use "alternative" words for no reason. Terminology should be consistent
>>
>>8855027
thank you anon this makes me so happy
>>
>>8855523
Yeah, you should know all your words because they are directly relevant to what you are working with.
>>
Get used to writing. It never ends. Reports. Funding requests. Patents...

Skip the thesaurus. Write a full first draft and have it reviewed. Pay someone if necessary. Try AMWA if no one is available locally. Respond to the reviewer comments. Repeat.
>>
>>8855555
>>
>>8855554
Missed it by 1

Answer these 3 questions. Why is your thesis question significant? How is your hypothesis innovative? What is your approach?
>>
>>8855027
That's because you never read. Take some time each day to sit down with some high quality literature and really enjoy it. Remember to be as concise as possible. Write one true sentence and then write another and another. Writing is the easiest part of all of this, if you can do research then you can write about it.
>>
>>8855027
Just write. Right now you're just procrastinating. You can refresh /sci/ a hundred more times, read all the news articles on the times, but the work will still be there. You've got to force yourself to sit down and just write it all out. Your first draft will be shit. That's fine, just keep revising and revising and reworking parts until it expresses what you needs it to.

Now get off /sci/, go make some coffee and start writing.
>>
>>8855662

Extensive usage of vocabulary and writing prowess comes from reading. Like all things in life you should train yourself by reading sophisticated text so you too can write like so.

Nothing wreeks of an amatuer as much as reading a piece that simply TRIES to sound fancy by use of altermate words.
Also practice concise language.
>>
>>8856169
>wreeks of an amateur

Almonds = activated
>>
>>8855027
play planescape torment
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.