[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to major in stem but I have to start in Algebra 1 again.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 8839700_orig.jpg (334KB, 837x372px) Image search: [Google]
8839700_orig.jpg
334KB, 837x372px
I want to major in stem but I have to start in Algebra 1 again. I am 23 years right now. I passed Algebra 1 when I was 15 with a B. What should I have to know when taking Algebra 1 again? Should I just rote memorize the steps? If not, what is the right way to learn maths?
>>
>>8855003
>but I have to start in Algebra 1 again

Review it on your own and retake the placement.

>Should I just rote memorize the steps

Fuck no.

>what is the right way to learn math

Understand it.
>>
>>8855003
>Should I just rote memorize the steps? If not, what is the right way to learn maths?
You want to understand on a fairly deep intuitive level what you're doing, why, and why it works. Basic algebraic manipulations really should become second nature to you if you want to do actual math or science
>>
>>8855019
>>but I have to start in Algebra 1 again
>Review it on your own and retake the placement.
I feel more comfortable taking it with a teacher.

>what is the right way to learn math

Understand it.
What do you mean understand it? I thought maths is all about rote memorization? Is there really something beyond rote memorization?
>>
>>8855003
bump
>>
>>8855030
>Is there really something beyond rote memorization?
You have to rationalize why a certain step is allowed. For instance, why can you say (a+b)(c+d)=ac+ad+bc+bd? Draw a rectangle with sides of length a+b and c+d. It clearly has area (a+b)(c+d), but it's also made up of four smaller rectangles (draw the lines) with areas ac, ad, bc, and bd. So the two are equal.
Why is the area of a triangle half of base times height? Draw a picture, draw a rectangle with side lengths of the triangle's base and height around it, and see that the triangle is half of the rectangle. And so on.
You also have to rationalize why a particular operation/step from your toolkit is "the right one" to use, why it gets you to the answer. At this level it's all about problem solving and figuring out what to do.
>>
Ugh, I feel so nervous taking my math classes. I felt so demoralized when I got to geometry. I failed geometry with a 50%. I had to retake it but I lose all motivation and didn't try so I dropped it. My counselor said I have to take geometry or I won't graduate. I take Geometry a third time. I was barely basing with a 69%. My teacher felt so bad for me that he bumped my grade by a single percent. I had never felt so frustrated taking the same class 3 times for two and a half year in my life. I probably would had never consider a math major until I waited for a long time to enter in college and had a cool-off period from math from several years ago.
>>
>>8855078
Ok, I will try to ask the whys in the maths instead of memorizing it. Thanks
>>
File: 1492281549326.jpg (305KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
1492281549326.jpg
305KB, 1024x680px
>>8855003
25 here, barely completing Algebra 1 for the first time at community college. The anons that have replied give very fundamental advice - you will get eaten alive in college without understanding what's going on. Memorizing is for formulas when you learn what they do.

Also, practice. Not doing math my whole life made me extremely sluggish in my performance and it feels a whole lot like work. Get through that and you'll be back to 5th grade anon and beyond in no time
>>
>>8855030

Maybe if you weren't such a colossal faggot who would rather sit through an entire algebra 1 course than pick up a fucking book, getting it done, and moving on with their life, you wouldn't be 24 and starting a degree.

People take that class in middle school.....
>>
>>8855162
I'm taking Algebra 1 in summer school, I'll be done with it in 60 days. Summer School is about to start very soon. I'll be in cal 1 by the time next summer starts.
>>
grind practice problems and try not to look at solutions unless you're really stuck

be conscious of the mistakes you tend to make
>>
>>8855162
Actually, I think I can complete Algebra 1 before summer school starts in time to take Geometry and Algebra 2 during the summer school. I went over my math during Khan academy, and it wasn't as hard as I thought it was. I just have to sit in front of the computers for a long time doing maths. I will try to do Algebra 1 before summer starts in time to take Algebra 2 and Geo for summer school
>>
>>8855192
Summer school starts in 60 days.
>>
>>8855166
Algebra 1 to calc 1? Sounds like a jump
>>
>>8855195
better get to it anon, the clock is ticking.
>>
>>8855208
I'm taking double math classes after Algebra 1. I'll be do cal 1 in a year which is why I'm getting there so fast.
>>
>>8855216
Hope it goes well!
Best of luck
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.