[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tectonic plates is probably the weakest theory still widely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 12.png (80KB, 794x406px) Image search: [Google]
12.png
80KB, 794x406px
Tectonic plates is probably the weakest theory still widely believed.

http://people.earth.yale.edu/sites/default/files/korenaga16nv.pdf
>>
>>8845769
Says a 1 page article.
>>
>>8845769

I'll actually have to read that paper. It's not beyond the pale for the theory to be either wrong or woefully understood.

On an intuitive level, plate tectonics seems to gel in with the existence of mountains, volcanism, and the jigsaw shape of continents.

But intuitive doesn't mean true.
>>
File: figure3.jpg (70KB, 583x472px) Image search: [Google]
figure3.jpg
70KB, 583x472px
>>8845769
I'm graduating with a degree in geology in 2 weeks. So I've learned a lot that the public may be unaware of over the years.

Here's an image made from seismic imaging data of an actual plate subducting. Any theory you propose that denies plate tectonics must address this evidence.

Best of luck to you. lol
>>
what about absolutism? 99.9%< of the the world holds unfalsifiable absolutist views.
>>
>>8845797
Many easterners do not
>>
File: laughs microscopically.png (557KB, 720x561px) Image search: [Google]
laughs microscopically.png
557KB, 720x561px
>>8845788
btfo
>>
>>8845801
eastern what?

literally almost everyone believes in some form of absolutism. the exceptions are generally restricted to some scientists and philosophy hobbyists.
>>
>>8845801
Is that why an absolutist communist dictator was able to lead a revolution in the largest Eastern country so as to make him absolute ruler?
>>
>>8845788

wrong
>>
>>8845861
no u
>>
>>8845788
I major in geology and I can back this up
>>
>>8845769

>Tectonic plates is probably the weakest theory still widely believed.

>http://people.earth.yale.edu/sites/default/files/korenaga16nv.pdf

Wasn't there something in the news sometime around 2002 or so about how it was discovered that the Earth: was "fattening", that it actually used to be a lot smaller, and that due to lower gravity land animals used to be a lot bigger?
>>
>>8845788
obviously flat Earth is true

which magically solves all questions
>>
>>8847376
Isn't that an older theory of expanding Earth?
>>
OP didn't even read the article, he just posted it as bait. There's nothing in it that states plate tectonics doesn't exist, what it stipulates is that it's a more recent phenomenon geologically speaking and might not have existed throughout Earth history. They specifically point to a lack of blueschist in the geological record beyond 800 mya, but the article also states that other scientists have modelled a hotter mantle in the Earth's past which would have had a different chemical composition leading to blueschist not being formed as much as it is today.
>>
>>8845788
IT'S A CONSPIIIIIIIRACY
>>
>>8847376
B-but muh flat earth theory ?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.