[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /sci/, its /tg/. I have a question for my setting. In my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: d.png (60KB, 519x525px) Image search: [Google]
d.png
60KB, 519x525px
Sup /sci/, its /tg/. I have a question for my setting.

In my game, there is a race of spirits who can turn intangible, do not require food, water, or sleep, and can fly at around 60 MPH in an atmosphere.

Assuming their flight acts in a manner similar to propulsion, what would their max speed and rate of acceleration be in the vacuum of space? Would they continue only moving 60 MPH, or would they rapidly accelerate into ridiculous space speeds due to constant acceleration or some other "weird science" principle?
>>
what causes their limit of movement to be 60mph? if they are intangible, that implies that friction does not apply to them and there would be no difference between moving through space or an atmosphere.
>>
If they can turn intangible, then they could move just as fast in earth by just remaining intangible while flying. That would obviously negate all air resistance.
>>
>>8845439
Well the real answer is "Magic", I probably won't actually include your answer in the campaign. If I wanted to round the cow here I'd rephrase the question

"If you take an object traveling 60 MPH through a source of propulsion at the back of the object and move it from an atmosphere to a vacuum, what happens to its speed and acceleration?"
>>
>>8845446
that still just depends on your source of propellant and how it actually propels you.

A plane passes incoming air into a turbine and uses it with combustion. It would stop the moment it didn't have atmosphere.

A rocket, on the other hand, doesn't need an atmosphere for propulsion. Its just shooting stuff out behind it really fast, and without friction, would go faster in space.

and then it would further depend on what's actually limiting it.
>>
>>8845439

the spectral beings travel along the thread-like ether that binds their reality to the game-world's reality, and the top speed on those bitchin' wires is 60MPH

it's like light speed, ain't gotta explain shit.
>>
>>8845469
Assume the motion is equivalent to a rocket, and the things limiting the speed of the spirit is air resistance and friction.
>>
>>8845494

then they would accelerate up to the speed of light.

just do >>8845476 it's magic, who cares.
>>
>>8845496
Why doesn't a rocket accelerate to the speed of light then? What limits a rocket's speed in space?
>>
>>8845505

because we have yet to invent a source of infinite propulsion. if you could accelerate something infinitely within a vacuum, it would eventually reach the speed of light.

velocity =/= acceleration

velocity is how fast you are moving

acceleration is how fast your velocity is increasing

if your ghost can travel to a maximum speed of 60MPH, that means it can accelerate to a maximum velocity of 60MPH. the atmosphere creates a drag effect that reduces acceleration, and as your speed increases, this drag increases. eventually, the drag is larger than the acceleration, which is when you hit maximum velocity, or top speed.

in space, because there is no atmospheric limit on the acceleration, you can accelerate forever as long as you have fuel.
>>
>>8845520
So the reason a spirit could eventually hit light speeds and a rocket can't is because the rocket has a limited supply of fuel for increasing velocity?

So a ship in space will continue increasing in speed as long as it continues expending fuel, and then will coast indefinitely at the speed thus achieved until it hits something?
>>
>>8845505
The gravity of planets accelerates you wayyyyyy faster than any amount of rocket fuel we could fit on a spacecraft.
>>
>>8845527

in a perfect vacuum yes, but space is not a perfect vacuum. there are small amounts of particulate up there, alongside a fuckload of gravitational force.
>>
>>8845505
Rocket propulsion in space is just straight up Newton. When an object exerts a force on another object that object experiences a force of equal magnitude in the opposite direction.

Rockets move in space by throwing matter (gas) behind the rocket. When you run out of fuel there is no more forces acting on the object, no forces acting on the object means no more acceleration, and no more acceleration means you move at constant velocity until acted on by another force.
>>
>>8845505
>Why doesn't a rocket accelerate to the speed of light then?
Limited fuel.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.