[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm tired my friends. The thing is, I'm an undergrad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Mad_Kid.jpg (67KB, 265x400px) Image search: [Google]
Mad_Kid.jpg
67KB, 265x400px
I'm tired my friends. The thing is, I'm an undergrad and this is my second semester. Being honest, the first semester was a piece of cake, but now I'm struggling with subjects like linear algebra and classical mechanics, and it's not like I want to blame someone because of my lack of capacity into doing it well in University, but, my God, I dare to say I've never had the worst professors in my entire life.

They don't teach me anything, and if they do, the material isn't in the homework or in the exams. Is Uni supposed to be like this? Professors "giving" you material and you are supposed to learn everything by yourself?

I respect professors since they are good investigators, but in the matter of teaching, they don't know a shit. Have any of you had this problem? How did you solved it?

TL;DR: I'm a brainlet because I can't learn the way professors are trying to teach me or is the blame of the professors for not knowing how to teach?
>>
>>8845232
If teaching was a professor's job, the university would force them to get a degree in education

Harden up or drop out
>>
>>8845232
yes, time to start learning bud
>>
>is Uni supposed to be like this?
No
>is it like this?
Yes

I don't mind as you have to read the books and do the problems to actually learn something. I just go to class to keep up to date on things.

>should I blame the professors?
I'm sure what is listed in the program is what comes out in the exam unless you go to some shit tier Uni. Everyone deals with it so it's just you
>>
>>8845232
Why are you taking upper division classes in your second semester?

Professors job isn't to teach you how to do things, but that those things exist on some level
>>
>>8845232
There are professors who are actually shitty at teaching. However, you do have to learn how to learn autonomously. Try looking for a study plan or something. At least in my uni, each department is obligated to make one for their classes. It helps me get around bad teachers and me familiar with the content by reading about it before it is actually taught.
>>
>>8845269
>Why are you taking upper division classes in your second semester?
That's what the program tell us to put as subjects for this semester.
>>
>>8845232
>Is Uni supposed to be like this? Professors "giving" you material and you are supposed to learn everything by yourself?

yeah. welcome to big boy school.

now you realize why not everyone can be a doctor/engineer/scientist

if it was easy, everyone would be doing it.
>>
>>8845232
This is literally a number theory class I am taking right now

Week 1: Professor teaches everything and gives worked examples for everything. Note that these are the basics of the curriculum to be covered

Week 2: Professor sends 3 textbooks and says that we should read all of it. I read important bits but not all

Week 3: Professor is now going over some topics and if I check the program he gave us, he literally skipped teaching many important parts. I feel a little weird but I say whatever.

Week 4: Get first assignment. Just a couple of proofs to get through. I start working on them. I notice that I am missing some things so I investigate relevant topics to write the proofs I want. Find that some of the material that he didn't teach is exactly what you need to go through these theorems. This means that all along he expected us to already have read all the books.

Week 5: Now professor teaches much more lightly. He discusses our proofs for most of the class and then in the last 20 or so minutes he gives us like 20 new theorems. He also now gave is another assignment. When doing it I found that to do it you need to apply the things taught this week, but on a more complex level. In other words, he gave me the definitions and elementary theorems but now it was up to me to read the more advanced part of the material to be able to do these proofs complete alone.

Week 6: Same.

Welcome to university. For the rest of your career your classes will be like this, unless you go to Brainlet U Incorporated (registrered trademark).
>>
You have textbooks, don't you? Read them. Only dumbass freshmen expect to walk into a lecture knowing absolutely nothing and walk out knowing everything an hour later. Read the material beforehand, go to the lecture, read it again later. If the lectures aren't worth it, which is often the case, then just don't go.
>>
File: 1485388638461.png (15KB, 489x423px) Image search: [Google]
1485388638461.png
15KB, 489x423px
OP here. I've been trying to read my textbooks and actually those doesn't help me to do the exercises that come in the same textbooks, what to do?
>>
>>8845638
Read them again. Read them before the lecture
>>
>>8845232
>How did you solved it?
By knowing what was going to appear in the exam and studying.
>>
>>8845269
>classical mechanics
>linear algebra
>upper division
>>
>>8845232
Some professors are good at teaching, other are bad. In either case you're expected to study the material on your own and do the homework, even if it's not graded. My university said to allow 3 hours/credit/week, and although only a couple 400 level classes actually required that much time, the point is that you'll have to put in significant time outside of class to learn, at least if you're not in the top .1% of intelligence.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.