[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the scientific reason for drinking lots of fluids

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 135.jpg (45KB, 700x445px) Image search: [Google]
135.jpg
45KB, 700x445px
What's the scientific reason for drinking lots of fluids while you have a cold? How do you get rid of a cold in an easy and non dangerous way?
>>
By fasting.
>>
>>8844828
I just wait it out.
>>
>>8844828
assuming you get a fever, and you start sweating, you lose liquids, same when you get snotty

you can't get rid of a cold, it is caused by a virus, you can only attack the symptoms

taking vitamin c regularly improves your chances against getting a cold by an 8% (source: chemistry textbook something something)

other than that, eat healthy, avoid sick people, don't smoke etc etc
>>
zinc supplementation really early in the course of the cold generally can reduce it by 2-3 days
>>
>>8844852
Tell me more.
>>
>>8844828
get rid of the cold by chain smoking menthol cigarettes the menthol will make your mouth feel cool and your original cold will be tricked into thinking a bigger, cooler cold is coming in and leave

plus it makes you look cool
>>
>>8844840 this

If you do nothing to treat a cold, it lasts about a week and a half, if you follow a treatment regimen, it lasts about 10 days.

Mitigate symptoms and it goes away in due course. Keeping your fluids up is always a fine idea, especially if you may be sweating a bit due to any slight fever you have.

Best thing to do when hosting a cold virus is to avoid passing it on. People who go to work with "just a cold" are Bad People. (tm)
>>
>>8844852
http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/zinc-lozenges-cold-remedy

More thoughts on that. Sounds harmless, more or less, if you don;t over do it, and might help -- but then, might not.
>>
File: teacher1.jpg (198KB, 366x1961px) Image search: [Google]
teacher1.jpg
198KB, 366x1961px
>>8844828
I wish some school teacher would get on this and invent a cure, or a preventative.
>>
>>8844879
>People who go to work with "just a cold" are Bad People.
>implying its a good idea to waste pto over a runny nose.

Id rather everyone in the office got sick than sacrifice one day out of the two weeks a year I get to take off work.

America is awesome right?
>>
>>8844852
Shellfish
Beef and other red meats
Nuts and seeds
Beans
Milk and cheese

>Milk
Everything except this one.
>>
>>8844907
I really doubt this is unique to America.

>"I just have a cold, I'm fine, I'll go on in to work."
>Typhoid Mary Get Out
>>
>>8844864
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_and_the_common_cold#Effectiveness

If you're really desperate you can also do antiretrovirals to get maybe another day or two down so instead of a week you'd be sick for like three days but it's just not worth it really.

There are no other legitimate treatments anyway, just drink some soup.
>>
>>8844907

Ring in to take day off. Boss and Co-workers pissed at you becasue you just made their day harder.

Have to go to Doctor to get note so you can get paid for the day off. Have to make appointment, get to doctors, wait for an hour, cost you half a days pay at least, spread germs while you are out, come back feeling even worse because you had to go out.

One day off work and having to go to doctor achieves nothing. Next day you are just as sick.

Worry that if you take too many days off ( i.e. more than one per year ) your job will be "restructured" ( i.e. they will legally terminate your employment while hiring someone new to do your job ).

Sucks to be working class.
>>
>>8845168
i meant antiviral obviously, antiretrovirals are for the gays
>>
>>8844828
Drinking fluid increases your blood volume, which increases hydrostatic pressure in your capillaries, which causes more fluid to be filtered out into the interstitial fluid, along with virus, which can then be taken up by the lymphatic vessels and carried to lymph nodes for processing and destruction.
>>
>>8845168
I am a huge fan of zinc. If I take a lozenge as soon as I feel something coming on, it usually never matures into a real cold. I haven't missed a sick day at work for a cold in years.
>>
File: 1459238767798.png (31KB, 720x644px) Image search: [Google]
1459238767798.png
31KB, 720x644px
>>8844828
the best way is to make it worse, once you feel extremely terrible and very hot you just need to sleep it off one night.
The worse it gets, the more white bloodcells exponentially are created.
>>
>>8845070
of course not, other 3rd world countries do it too
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.