[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It is so sad that pi was derived and used as the basis of calculating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: tau.gif?w=300.gif (2KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
tau.gif?w=300.gif
2KB, 300x300px
It is so sad that pi was derived and used as the basis of calculating circles and not tau. Area of a circle tau squared over two. In other words it is the integral of the circle, and tau lays out the method of integration. The greeks might have figured out calculus if they used tau.
>>
>>8843604
They wouldn't have figured out calculus because tau had nothing to do with xenos paradox.

I don't see any reason to use one over the other except that one has been adopted and taught for a long time so it's easier to use for most of us.
>>
>>8843614

Tau makes trig more reasonable. also it takes that ugly -1 out of Euler's identity.
>>
>>8843618
But the -1 gives you something extra to think about. It adds to the weight of the identity.
>>
>>8843614
in my experience tau's been useful because I could say
tau * (5 / 8)
and mean 5/8's of a circle instead of saying
pi * (5 / 8)
which means 5/8's of a half of a circle. With that you can just say that sine of an eight of a circle is root 2 over 2 and sine of eight twelfths of a circle is negative root 3 over 2. With tau you can actually visualize the unit circle in your head instead of just brute-forcing a bunch of random looking fractions.
>>
>>8843604
Get over it, nerd. Tau is nothing more than numerology; there's no good reason to use it over pi.
>>
>>8843636

A fourth of a circle is 1/4 tau. You want to cut tau in half, why not cut it into a quarter, or an eighth or a sixteenth? Tau makes circles easier to work with.
>>
>>8843618
>>8843632
The trig is the same obviously.

I've been taught to think in fractions of pi. Pi at this point is easier for me. If I had been taught in tau instead I'd be OK with that too.

I don't think that defining a number as a constant multiple of another makes sense outside of convenience. I feel that pi is a more fundamental value than tau.

Writing out tau doesn't save me any work either. If I'm writing tau instead of 2pi I'm making at least as many pen strokes or key inputs. For fractional values, it's a wash.

So conceptually and practically, I see no reason to switch or why it should have been used over pi to begin with.
>>
People who can't do teach
People who can't teach complain about tau, celebrate pi day or try to learn its decimals.

I'm genuinely annoyed at all that pi circle jerking.
>>
>>8843604
You're the same type of faggot that unironically wants people to start using base 12. KYS
>>
File: 1492084943006.jpg (98KB, 378x485px) Image search: [Google]
1492084943006.jpg
98KB, 378x485px
>>8845266
Are you... triggered?
>>
>>8845285
Yeah, I guess you could say that pi bullshit triggers me.
I don't get hysterical, though, but merely annoyed.
>>
because multiplying by two is so hard. surely that's what was keeping archimedes from inventing calculus!
>>
>>8843604
Tau is just Pi * 2, moron.
>>
Let's be honest, unless you're a faggot (read: engineer) very little of the math you do will depend on the actual value of the curvature constant, which is simply a scaling factor for converting between two particular kinds of metrics when linear maps fail you.

Multiply the curvature constant by 2 and all the relevant identities scale by a factor of 2 accordingly, but 6.28... is not "more fundamental" than 3.14... as a value for this constant, and the fact that it is transcendental makes arguments for pi vs. tau as arbitrary as arguments for the "best" reference frame to set up a coordinate system in.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.