[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you could never tell your cience accomplishments to anyone,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 1478647978167.jpg (138KB, 625x824px) Image search: [Google]
1478647978167.jpg
138KB, 625x824px
If you could never tell your cience accomplishments to anyone, would you still do it?

No science talk, no showing off doctorate, or any prize
>>
File: 1463407995488.jpg (21KB, 312x345px) Image search: [Google]
1463407995488.jpg
21KB, 312x345px
yes, in fact i wish i didn't have to put my name on publications

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scipione_del_Ferro

>There are no surviving scripts from del Ferro. This is in large part due to his resistance to communicating his works. Instead of publishing his ideas, he would only show them to a small, select group of friends and students.

>It is suspected that this is due to the practice of mathematicians at the time of publicly challenging one another. When a mathematician accepted another's challenge, each mathematician needed to solve the other's problems. The loser in a challenge often lost funding or his university position. Del Ferro was fearful of being challenged and likely kept his greatest work secret so that he could use it to defend himself in the event of a challenge.
>>
>>8840853
no because I'd lose funding
>>
>>8840860
>mathematicians battle to the death
Where do i sign up?
That's fucking metal!
>>
>>8840865
Just go on mathoverflow or stackexchange, it's the modern equivalent.
>>
>>8840853
No, because the idea of science is to build upon what's already proven or known. If you don't publish, there's no progress.
>>
>>8840919
>people can't build on their own results
>>
>>8840919
no, you can publish, but you would use a fake name and could never talk about it

the thread is about if you couldn't have the false superiority that science gives you, would you still do it
>>
>>8840921
you sound jelly

and yeah i'd still do it
>>
>>8840853

I would prefer it. I would publish under a pseudonym if ever possible. Problem is no one would read he research..
>>
>>8840926
>you sound jelly
im asking if you do things for yourself or for what others think of you
jelly of what?
>>
>>8840920
Misinterpretation, but if it makes you feel good, oh golly, I'm wrong.

>>8840921
And here I admit misinterpretation myself. I though OP meant no sharing. I get it now - no accolades. Hm. That's different. To live wholly altruistically without acknowledgement, or be content with self-awareness of my contributions? That's tough. I'll admit to being enough of a narcissist to require some encouragement to continue. So no.
>>
>>8840934
stop talking like you are 300 years old
>>
>>8840938
Stop reacting like you're ten.
>>
>>8840931
meh this is boring
>>
>>8840951
in that post: flagrant unjustified sanctimony.
Did that help you at all?
>>
>>8840853
no.

i could see it in mathematics, but in a field where multiple fields compound to make something a reality I cant see myself contributing to an echo chamber. it would literally get me nowhere.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.