[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How fucked is the United States if pic related is struck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: yellowstone.png (132KB, 640x338px) Image search: [Google]
yellowstone.png
132KB, 640x338px
How fucked is the United States if pic related is struck by a nuclear warhead?
>>
>>8834576
Definitely fucked.
>>
>>8834576
The West coast is thoroughly Fucked.

They could've built a Geothermal Plant on top of it; fuck Ol' Faithful.
>>
>>8834576
Not fucked, the thing is miles down.
>>
not at all, nukes don't have the energy required to affect it in any way unless you drilled a mile deep hole first then dropped a bunch of warheads down it
>>
>>8834576
Not at all.
>>
>>8834576
Well considering I'm less than 100 miles from Yellowstone, I probably won't last long.
>>
>>8834605
This. Also, if the pressures were such that an eruption would be instigated by a nuke, it'd be obviously on the edge of eruption at the moment -- it is not.
>>
you would need something stronger than Tzar Bomba and detonate it thousands of feet below the surface.
>>
>>8834576
Surface burst with any currently existing warhead wouldn't do shit. A sub-surface blast from a sufficiently large warhead set off deep below ground might set it off but I'm not sure how big a bomb you'd need or how far down you'd have to go. I've seen a study that suggested that if the Norks tested a bomb that set off the equivalent of a magnitude 7 they might disturb one of their volcanoes but I'm not sure how well that translates over to the Yellowstone Caldera. Not sure how much a disturbance would be needed to set things in motion there. Not to mention that the estimates for the yield a warhead needs to generate the equivalent of a magnitude 7 earthquake vary wildly because its the sort of thing that is highly dependent on the local rock types.
>>
>>8834576
is there any way to slowly release the pressure over time to avoid an eruption?
>>
>>8834576
>just the u.s. and not the entirety of the whole world being impacted
>>
>>8835571
>implying we give a shit about the rest of the world

Fuck, I barely give a shit about the rest of this country and you expect me to care about nuclear winter fucking up Lesotho or some shit?
>>
It would be a shame because Yellowstone is a nice place, but the magma column is too deep to be affected if that's what you're asking. Yellowstone will never erupt again.
>>
Yellowstone is a meme, much like Cumbre Vieja.

t. Geologyfag.
>>
>>8834576
>completely clueless about how volcanoes work.

god damn I love /sci
>>
>>8835620
Yellowstone most certainly can and probably will erupt again in the future, but the most likely eruption to take place at yellowstone is not a caldera collapse type supervolcanic eruption. These events are exceedingly rare, but they can occur over geological timescales, and possibly will again in the future, but it's not a complete certainty. There's so much we just don't know about eruptions like Yellowstone.

That said, Earth has had many super-massive volcanic events in the past, Earth is probably overdue for another very extreme, ultra-plinean eruption like Tambora for example. Hell, something like Toba as well could occur in the future as well, and have global ramifications.

If an eruption similar to Toba occurred today, it would have severe global economic and climate impacts on Earth. Yellowstone having a supervolcanic eruption that throws enough debris into the stratosphere would be similar, but like I said above, Yellowstone is not as likely to have a caldera collapse than it is to have a less explosive eruption with lava flows.

Honestly, it's inevitable that we will eventually see something like Toba again in the future somewhere on Earth, and I doubt we will ever have the technology to prevent such a massive eruption. Could be tens of thousands of years until we have one though, like I said, it's not really easy to predict.
>>
>>8834897
Bruce Willis?
>>
>>8834576
We'd be fucked out of a neat national park for like a year.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.