[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /sci/, serious question time. Any ivy league, elite-faggots

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1483824602991.jpg (30KB, 518x356px) Image search: [Google]
1483824602991.jpg
30KB, 518x356px
Alright /sci/, serious question time. Any ivy league, elite-faggots need to get in here.

I would really like to get into a decent grad school program, so that naturally entails getting into a decent school. I have the typical list: safety net, match, and reach. My question is about getting into my 'reach' schools.

I go to a meme-as-fuck state school in Oregon that is really only known for our football team. So I know I'm already at a disadvantage because I'll be competing with people who took Math 55 their freshman year, or some other equivalent at a reputable undergrad program. I understand that most of the people who go to schools like mine never really close the gap and make the leap to a top-tier program in grad school.

I'm in the honor's program, though, and that means that I'll be expected to do some very minimal research as an undergrad, so that might help, but I'm just starting my junior year and I have no idea what areas I should be looking into.

What do you think? Am I essentially bound to my current station, or can I get into a reach school of mine? Does anybody have any advice/experiences they would like to share with me?

For reference:
My ideal match school is UW
and my reach schools are the typical tryhard schools:
UChicago, UC Berkeley, Stanford, ect.

Thanks in advance
>>
File: 1483824537082.jpg (23KB, 650x300px) Image search: [Google]
1483824537082.jpg
23KB, 650x300px
Bumping myself, if that's even how it works
>>
this proves /sci/ is dead
>>
>>8826047
Read the sticky faggot
>>
>>8826079
>hurr durr I'm not the only one shitposting so its ok to shitpost
fuck off, go to >>>/adv/ like the fucking sticky tells you to faggot
>>
>>8826091
>3 posters
You fucking dumbass
I'm saying that no one gives to fucks if the post obeys the sticky. The fact that no one gave him advice after 6 hours proves that there was no one to give him advice.
>>
>>8826102
>The fact that no one gave him advice after 6 hours proves that there was no one to give him advice.
That doesn't follow at all. And you call me the dumbass.

>I'm saying that no one gives to fucks if the post obeys the sticky.
except 90% of the posts you link to do obey the sticky, faggot
>>
I went to a tier 2 for undergrad and go to Stanford for grad school. For masters and Phd, you need to maximize your GPA. Additionally, for phd you need to build a relationship with three either established or upcoming faculty for three strong letters of recommendation.

If your gpa is below 3.7 ish, then one of your letter writers will need to at least know someone at say Stanford to tell them to pull the application out of filter purgatory.

Start asking professors whoses research area and courses you like if you can work in their labs as an undergraduate research assistant. You need to start this sooner than later as this can be a source of letters.

Take at least one graduate course before you graduate. Try to get straight As on all areas of interest.

Ahh - if your application is weak at the end of your junior then don't submit it. Instead, strengthen it your senior year and submit it in a super senior quarter. You can probably find a minimum wage ish job with one of your letter writing professor doing grunt work to keep you busy until graduate school.

Make sure to intern at least once with a prominent company. Ask for your letters early. Talk to professors about graduate school early.

You won't be an intellectual disadvantage. The average will be higher but it's due to people working hard. Only 10% of the phd students are true brainiacs.
>>
>Reminder: /sci/ is for discussing topics pertaining to science and mathematics, not for helping you with your homework or helping you figure out your career path.

>If you want advice regarding college/university or your career path, go to /adv/ - Advice.
>>
>>8826119
Thanks senpai. That was a really helpful response.
What is your area of study btw?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.