[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you ever wonder what being a non-STEM major is like? TI spend

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: download.png (4KB, 146x220px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
4KB, 146x220px
Do you ever wonder what being a non-STEM major is like?
TI spend 40 grand and 4 years of your life doing essentially nothing but quoting other people in short papers nobody will ever read and leaving with a degree that will likely be irrelevant to the actual career you take?

Not being a fedoralord, just genuinely curious.
>>
>>8824878
The point of those papers is to learn how to synthesize information you've learned and express ideas based on that. Its the same as doing proofs or exercises, you wouldn't say STEM is doing nothing but memorizing and practicing formulas you'll never use again prepping for a job that is unlikely to require more than a few repetitive calculations.

That said, there's no reason any of those papers couldn't form the basis of an article if they have novel hypothesis or perspective, you'd just have to have a prof invested in you and research time to move forward.

Also speaking as someone who did a history degree knowing i was going to law school, I college as a way to become more well rounded and well read before i delved into law autism for the rest of my life.
>>
>>8824878
>Not being a fedoralord
yeh you are.
>>
As a Poli Sci major, I confront this thought a lot. However, I've gotten good internships so far, and plan to get a doctorate, and I feel its worth it. Is it as profitable as STEM or as useful? Probably not, no. But I enjoy the work and find it fulfilling.
>>
>>8824878
Always. Before I went to engineering I did 1.5 year of psychology. Strangely enough, I don't remember much of the feel of it as a degree.
Now I keep wondering how people live their lives without ever having to solve complex problems and further developing their logical reasoning like we do in STEM.
>>
File: dang.gif (2MB, 178x260px) Image search: [Google]
dang.gif
2MB, 178x260px
>>8824878
People don't actually do this... Right?
>>
>>8824878
>doing essentially nothing but quoting other people
...that's where you went wrong, pleb.
>>
When I was younger, I got a bachelor's in criminal justice. Going back to school for EE and it's like I've never been to college before. Before I would spend like an hour per class per week writing a paper then forget about it. Tests were just a few minutes of flash cards, no more than what I did in high school.

EE was like a whole new world. I never understood what "full time student" meant until I was studying 40-50 hours a week.

With criminal justice, my only path was police officer. In the academy, only 2 others had a bachelors, and neither if them related to ceminal justice. I can only imagine was would compel sombody to study communications.

I'm confident that I could have gotten through the criminal justice program in high school. The fact that are essentily designed for milquetoaste middle class kids to stay on the same educational level as their parents. They never actually utilize their education.

We cold end the student loan bubble now if we just banned all financial aid for non-STEM. They aren't actually in college.
>>
>>8825018
Mainly just humanities and gender studies. People analyzing some obscure novel adding bullshit insight contribute no value to society.

Social sciences are kind of valuable, but only a few are really necessary.
>>
>>8825018
Communications major is for scholarship athletes.
>>
>>8824973
Now I keep wondering how people live their lives without ever having to solve complex problems and further developing their logical reasoning like we do in STEM.
Iam in Philosophy, and that's not STEM but I spend every moment to develop my logical reasoning, more than STEM maybe.
>>
>>8825052
>logically linking theories with evidence is the basis of every major humanities discipline
>somehow no logical reasoning challenge
?
>>
>>8824878
>Not being a fedoralord, just genuinely curious.
No, you're being a huge fedoralord, especially because you don't even comprehend the humanities on a basic level.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.