[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /sci/ Do you guys know if vortexting or sonicating a solution

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1491864948777[1].png (134KB, 576x381px) Image search: [Google]
1491864948777[1].png
134KB, 576x381px
Hi /sci/

Do you guys know if vortexting or sonicating a solution can break antigen-antibody bonds?

I am basically capturing an antigen using beads that are coated with antibody. However, when I ran my experiment today, I did not detect any antigen on them. I spiked in antigen so I know it should have been there initially. Do you think vortexting/sonicating the solution screwed up the bonds? I can't find any info online.

Thanks in advance!
>>
>>8817874
Could the antibodies have come off the beads during sonication?
>>
>>8817885
maybe, that's what I was wondering. can that happen? i thought sonication works on the micron scale and would not impact the nanoscale molecules
>>
>>8817928
I honestly have no idea but I don't think it would be an issue. I'd check other variables first, e.g. incubation time. What did you use/how did you check whether there was binding?
>>
>>8817939
Yeah before resorting to something we have no information on if it can even happen testing things we know can go wrong would be better. What temperature was the solution at by the way OP?
>>
>>8817939
My secondary antibody has an enzyme called HRP attached to it. After vigorous washing, if there is a complex with primary-antigen-secondary-enzyme, the solution should light up.

If there is no antigen, there will only be primary antibody on the beads so no enzyme should be present. There will be minimum background fluorescence but the separation between the positive and negative should be substantial.
>>
File: ELISA%20[1].jpg (19KB, 750x406px) Image search: [Google]
ELISA%20[1].jpg
19KB, 750x406px
>>8817955
The solution was incubated at room temperature.

I'm basically doing as shown in the image. If there is no antigen, there should be no fluorescence.
>>
>>8817874
I don't have 100% relevant information but when doing ChIP (binding a antibody to a target dna/chromatin) I have never had issues with vortexing.
>>
>>8817969
Perhaps the ab-ag affinity is weak. Run incubation at 37 degrees? If nothing apparent binding occurs then you could rule that out as a cause
>>
>>8817999
So incubation at 37C generally improves binding between antibody-antigen?

I think the Kd of my primary is the 10s of pM range and for the secondary it is in the 1nM range ish. From the paper I followed, they used room temperature incubation at 1h, so I followed that. But 37C should provide more diffusion and energy for binding to occur you think?
>>
>>8818002
Room temperature and 37 are common temperatures in immunological assays such as the ELISA with HRP, any more and you probably risk harming the proteins. I don't know if it generally improves binding, but I can imagine for weaker less specific binding it may encourage a detectable signal where there was none before. To rule that out i think you have to do a mock physiological-temperature run
>>
>>8817969
That's odd, these kind of tests are typically pretty reliable. Do you know if there's any possibility that the fluorescent antibody inhibits binding with the one on the bead?
>>8817999
This would be a better test to run first.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.