[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is one non-science subject you think all scientists should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

What is one non-science subject you think all scientists should have a good knowledge of that is not mathematics or philosophy?

For me I think economics is a good subject to learn about because it gives you an understanding of how the world functions and why certain things happen.
>>
>>8812186
Physics of course, it can explain absolutely everything, because everything else is a simplified model of physics.
>>
>>8812257
Reading comprehension is a more important subject
>>
>>8812262
Yep, I agree :P

(Samefag for those who didn't notice)

Isn't economics some kind of science? I would say linguistics, but no specific language, rather how they work in general and how to design the perfect one.
>>
History.

Just to know how we got here.
>>
Casual drawing or writing so they can feel the muse firsthand.
>>
File: 1486995697126.jpg (46KB, 526x568px) Image search: [Google]
1486995697126.jpg
46KB, 526x568px
>>8812186

How Best To Please A Woman.
>>
>>8812186
Analytic philosophy
>>
>>8812186
Something in the direction of arts (music, fashion, poetry, painting, whatever one likes). Ignorance towards arts is a red flag to me, usually those people are either plain stupid or in some way autistic, 100%.
>>
>>8812268
>Isn't economics some kind of science?
At the most general level, economics is simply the study of decision-making under constraints, and economists are unified only by their belief that all observed behavior is explainable as the result of optimization under some kind of incentive scheme.
Historically, economists restricted their attention to measurable decisions in terms of amounts of money transferred and where the decision-making agents are (rulers of) countries. This has certainly shaped the public's perception of economics, but there have always been economist-statisticians (econometricians), economist-mathematicians, economist-businessmen, economist-psychologists, economist-biologists, economist-political theorists, etc. who have either applied economic theories to explain various phenomena in their field of interest, or contributed to theoretical economics by generalizing theories from their field so that they can be applied in other contexts.

t. economist-computer scientist
>>
Psychology, to better understand their bias. This being said I'd feel uncomfortable to demand everyone study it.
>>
Civics
>>
Probably administration, everybody should know the basics and understand the concepts.

Not even memeing.
A scientist that doesn't have his shit together will accomplish nothing.

But still, it just comes out of logic, so i'm not saying that people should study it, but undertsnad it and maybe take a course or two. Plus this depends mostly on the persons personality
>>
>>8812332
Why?
>>
>>8812186
Law. We all could reduce the taxes we pay or avoid trouble with the government by knowing a bit of it.
>>
Basic engine and automotive maintenance.
>>
either Statistics or something to do with Communication/Public Speaking/Writing
>>
>>8812186
Being well read in history and literature. Academia is mostly politics and you need to be skilled at appealing to different types of people and manipulating them to do what you want while making sure they feel like their choice was 100% their decision.
>>
>>8812390
Why what?
>>
>>8812257
surely you are baiting
>>8812269
This.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.