[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Most fields in biology are flooded and because of it you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault[3].jpg (267KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[3].jpg
267KB, 1920x1080px
>Most fields in biology are flooded and because of it you aren't likely to instantly get a job
>Population genetics is a field that is hiring anyone they can, it pays well and the subject is interesting and varied
>Almost no one wants to get a degree in it
Someone explain. Is it the fact that you have to take a few statistics classes? Is the bits of genetic classes too hard? Is it that it's an unknown field? Why wouldn't you want a degree in something that will give you a guaranteed job doing what you want with good pay?
>>
life scientists are brainlets. can't handle the maths.
>>
>Masters in genetics
>150k Starting
>350k in a few years
>No one wants to do it
>>
>>8810736
This is just not true

Also genetics stats isn't really that hard

t. Genetics grad student
>>
>>8809792
>>Population genetics is a field that is hiring anyone they can
Really?
To do what?
Mathematical masturbation?

I'd go for computational biology instead
>>
>>8810821
>Mathematical Masturbation
What does this mean?
>>
>>8809792
STEM people who are bad at math:
>I am so bad at math xD. I like biology better! What? did you say? Do predictive mathematical models that require algebra 2 and non-Tai-ean calculus? Get that away from me. I like anatomy better, it is just like labeling pretty pictures xD. I FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE

STEM people who are good at math:
>I am so good at math, I want to do the most challenging things I can. What did you say? Do predictive mathematical models that require algebra 2 elementary non-Tai-ean calculus? Get that trivial shit away from me. What do you think I am? A brainlet?
>>
>>8810822
That population genetics is not very applied
>>
>>8810834
Accurate
>>
>>8810838
applied in ag science all the time
>>
>>8809792
Thanks for the tip. I'm finishing up my undergrad with a minor in math, so I'll look into it.

>nobody's hiring
What about biofuel research?
>>
>>8809792
Because it's just not interesting, not as an abstract study nor as an applied field. I studied biology to research something interesting and potentially substantial, if I wanted money I'd go work in finance.
>>
>>8809792
>Is it the fact that you have to take a few statistics classes

There's more to it than that. You need to learn at least three programming languages: (usually R, C++, and Python, Ruby, or Perl) and become proficient with mathematics through multivariate calculus.
>>
>>8810964
Don't you mean biostatistics?
>>
>>8811197
Fisher 1930 is all over ag science. It is a work of population genetics.
>>
File: hahaha.jpg (11KB, 381x358px) Image search: [Google]
hahaha.jpg
11KB, 381x358px
>>8811213
>ag science
In school or in practice?
And also
>Mendelian genetics
>>
Its because biology degree curriculums are a fucking joke: NYU which is like 50k total out of state for 4 years: http://biology.as.nyu.edu/object/biology.1618.ug.req#major

its all meme memorization with like 4 labs maximum where you measure LOL ACTION POTENTIAL OF CLAM HEART
>>
>>8809792
>you have to take a few statistics classes
bingo.

Normal people's heads explode when presented with statistics calculations. not to mention biology majors don't tend to be interested in math to begin with. Too bad for them their species populations are governed by complex differential equations among other things.

My sense is most biologists just want an excuse to look at animals and get paid.
>>
>>8809792
>Most fields in biology are flooded and because of it you aren't likely to instantly get a job
Can't speak for the rest of the world but it's really easy to get a job in MA with a bio degree. Almost everyone who's graduating from my department has a job lined up or is going to grad school
>>
>>8810834
STEM undergrads who are okay (and may become good) at math and think they're hot shit (you)
>I am so good at math, I want to bit off more than I can chew. Even though I've made no significant contributions to my field or have a 30k starting salary, I'm going to write off a whole field on a Tuvan throat singing board. I'm totally better than James Watson because I can name-drop varieties of calculus I don't actually know. I'm going to project my insecurities onto so-called "brainlets."
>>
>>8811257
>Its because biology degree curriculums are a fucking joke
I wouldn't say "a fucking joke", but a lot of life-science curriculums do lack math and programming. They tend to be oriented toward making you into a lab researcher, so if you want to do computational stuff you have to go out of your way to make sure you take as much math and programming courses for your electives as possible.
>>
Because population genetics, and biology in general, is boring as hell.
>>
>>8810834
Good thing I am ok at math. The perfect amount for money.
>>
>>8810838
It is applied all the time anon.
>Pathogens
>Agriculture
>Fisheries
>>
>>8811034
>Not interesting
How is evolution not interesting? That is the most interesting thing in biology in my opinion. Seeing how populations change and evolve in real time or in the past is infinitely interesting to me.
>>
>>8811307
Do Lab researchers in bio even get paid decently?
>>
>>8811260
>Look at animals and get paid
BioMajor here. That is it. But even then I think understanding Pop genetics would help in being an ecologist. It's very hard to get a job in zoology where you study animals all day in nature from what I understand.
>>
>>8811308
>Living things (The most interesting things in the universe) are boring
If you hate life why not kill yourself?
>>
>>8811513
>It is applied all the time anon.
In industry, or academia?
Also
>population genomics
>>
>>8811307
ive been learning R (https://binf.snipcademy.com/) and associated bioinformatics on r/bioinformatics since january in hopes of applying to indeed jobs and NOT sound like a life-science major.
>>
>>8809792
Because it's the most useless mental masturbation you can think of.

>hurr durr we discovered that these two bat colonies that live on opposite sides of this giant river are... SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT!!!
>>
>>8811544
see >>8811513
It also has stuff like figuring out the evolutionary history of animals but that isn't any more useless than a lot of research.
>>
>>8811308
How can you find biology, the study of life, boring? What exactly do you study?
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.