[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who was the greatest non-modern thinker and why was it Euclid?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: euclid.jpg (46KB, 360x235px) Image search: [Google]
euclid.jpg
46KB, 360x235px
Who was the greatest non-modern thinker and why was it Euclid? (I'm hesitant to say 'ancient' because I'm referring to anyone whose works were 1700 CE or prior)

>Elements
Nuff said
>>
>>8801120
>Arbitrarily picking pre 1700 to exclude best-boi Euler
>not saying Euler
you suck
>>
Literally none.

What humanity achieved from -100'000 BCE to 1900 was 1%.

What humanity achieved from 1900 to 2017 is 99%.

I would say that persons like Rihanna, David Getta, and Justin Bieber produced more value than this Euclöd guy, whoever she is
>>
Since the correct spelling of Euler is Oiler, shouldn't we also spell Euclid as Oiclid?
>>
>>8801168
Ugh, your b8 sucks.
>>
>>8801168
No in term of scientific progress Euclide did 10% of the work, Newton 20%, Gauss 8% Turing 15%, the rest is shared by thousand of people.
>>
>>8801190
No it was Eucled 0,1%, Newb 0,2%, Guiness 0,8%, Turing 0,15%, Rihanna 2%, Justin Bieber 3%, presidents 10%, politicians 9%, bankers 8% and rest is shared by thousands of people
>>
>>8801190
Whoa, Turing at 15%??? How do you justify this???

As OP I can agree with Euclid at 10% though
>>
>>8801120
>>8801168
>BCE
I dont care what your religious views are, so why interject your atheism into a nonrelated discussion? The notation BCE means nothing different than BC dates or history, except that you want to proclaim your godless lifestyle for political reasons and casually make the reader uncomfortable.
>>
>>8801120
Euclid was probably the first "real" mathematician in terms of formal rigorosity (definition->theorem->proof) (although not in todays sence). His parallel axiom influenced mathematicians for thousends of years.
But I agree with the other dude: Euler is the King.
>>
>>8801190
>Newton
He did next to nothing
>>
>>8801266
Brainlet kill yourself
>>
>>8801282
>ITT BRAINLET ATHEISTS
>>
>>8801291
>>8801259
Whoa senpai, firstly, please address any psychological issues that might be causing your delusions of persecution. Secondly, I'm not even a fedora-tipping atheist.
>>
>>8801264
>Euclid
It's pronounced Oiclid :^)
>>
>>8801259
>>8801355
Also, thirdly, "Common Era" and "Before Common Era" are how I was indoctrinated at school, so direct your anger somewhere appropriate.
>>
>>8801264
Well that's what surprised me so much -- his logical rigor was way beyond his time... I truly wonder how intelligent the man was, if he was able to devise much of the foundation for subsequent maths so long ago, without any real precursors.

Everyone keeps saying Euler, which is making me feel like a brainlet for not understanding why everyone is on his dick. Can you give some reasons?
>>
>>8801365
Its extra work to put the BCE over BE, and if you dont put AD noboby will know what you even mean.
>>
>>8801120
Euclid might not have even been one person according to some
>>
>>8801396
Is this the ultimate redpill? The idea that all the greatest intellectual advancements are actually the result of a collaboration instead of a lone wolf?
>>
>>8801381
>persecution
All western history we've used AD/BC, but then in 1990 some (((historians))) decided they wanted to rewrite western history from scratch to deemphasize Christianity.

There is no other reason to use it other than to not reference Christianity. It interjects your religion into unrelated things in the same way an edgy teenager would. Its a tip of the fedora to the reader.
>wuz indocrinated n sheeit
No you werent. At best they mention the CE/BCE notation and say its the same, but kikes prefer it, like you.
>>
File: reaction3.gif (2MB, 265x257px) Image search: [Google]
reaction3.gif
2MB, 265x257px
>>8801421
If the charge is being a 'kike', then I suppose I'm guilty.
>>
>>8801374
Don't feel like a brainlet, "who is the best mathematician" is essentially religion.
Euler "invented" more or less the symbol-system we use today (as far as I know, maybe it's a myth) [math]f(x),\pi, \int, \sum, i, ...[/math]. I think, behind Erdos, he was the most productive mathematician (most part of it, when he was blind(!)). He was, like Gauss, expert among many areas, analysis, complex analysis, graph theory, geometry, astronomy, mechanics etc. He was a human calculator and probably the best analysis dude ever.
>>
>>8801396
he was two midgets in a bathrobe actually
>>
>>8801120
Erastothenes
>>
>>8801462
Damn, I'm a brainlet who had to look him up, but definitely this. Being a librarian at Alexandria will do that to a man, I guess. The fate of the library was an absolutely tragedy... where we could have been...
>>
>>8801466
Barely anything wouldve been lost.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.