[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm trying to understand the concept of hole in semiconductors.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

I'm trying to understand the concept of hole in semiconductors. I know that they are basicly just empty space but there is something called 'hole current'. It stuck on my mind. Is there a channel on the copper wires where the holes can advance?
Can the current due to the holes be seen on the copper wire?
>>
an electron hole is a 0
an electron is a 1

imperfect analogy but close enough
>>
>>8798826
Think of it as a collective effect in the case you have something nearly filled with electrons. You can describe the system, instead of using the electrons, by the "absence of electron". And instead of movement of electrons you can talk about the movement of these vacancies.
>>
>>8798826
I'll try to give you the idea OP:

Imagine a circuit made of small circles. All of them are black, representing electrons, except one is hollow, representing the hole.

Now, the electron wants to move toward the hole's "positive charge" (net charge is more positive than the electron, hence it wants to move).

So you move one of your black circles onto the hollow one, and now the "hole" has moved. And then the next electron moves into it. And the next. Moving the hole, but notice that the electrons are moving also, therefore electric current.

Don't try to think that the hole directly creates current. The hole moves electrons, which make the current.
>>
OP here. thanks guys your explanations made me understand
>>
>>8798826
holes are virtual positrons
>>
>>8798878
This is the best explanation.

Instead of movement of electrons, think of it as movement of a positive charge through conjugated double bonds. If you understand organic chem
>>
>>8798878
This op. If you don't understand this than fuck yourself
>>
>>8798826
To add, semiconductors are made with specific adjacent materials. When voltage is applied, electrons are excited from their ground state to some other state. When this happens, they jump into the next material whose ground level is greater than the applied voltage, preventing them from jumping back down. This leaves a "hole" in the material.

You can read about transistors and the standard ones used. Fet,bjt, etc
>>
>>8798826
They're called vias.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Via_(electronics)

Some holes are also for letting a screw or other part through.
>>
>>8798826
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_hole
>>
>>8798826
Draw in a paper a lot of empty circles. Now draw a bunch of electrons moving from left to right.

There are two ways of seeing it: The electrons are moving towards the right...or the holes are moving towards the left. Of course the holes are not going anywhere. It's just a concept.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.