[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /sci/ think of the self-described "rationality

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: Eliezer.jpg (18KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
Eliezer.jpg
18KB, 280x280px
What does /sci/ think of the self-described "rationality community," i.e. Eliezer Yudkowsky, Robin Hanson, Scott Alexander, LessWrong, etc.?
>>
>>8797818
We don't.
>>
>>8797818

"rationality community"

JOIN US GUYS. JOIN THE RATIONALITY COMMUNITY, AS OPPOSED TO EVERYBODY ELSE WHO IS EXPLICITLY AGAINST RATIONALITY
>>
Robin Hanson is a genius, pic related.

His GRE scores, back when the GRE was hard:

GRE 1991: Verb 770/99% Quan 780/94% Anal 730/92% 1980: Physics 960/98%

http://mason.gmu.edu/~rhanson/home.html

That would put Hanson in the mid-150s, IQ-wise. If I remember correctly, Eliezer has a tested IQ in the mid-140s, so he's no slouch either.

Clearly a smart group. But LessWrong tends to be too insular for its own good.
>>
File: Age of Em.jpg (137KB, 922x1382px) Image search: [Google]
Age of Em.jpg
137KB, 922x1382px
>>8797878
Derp, forgot pic.
>>
>>8797833
Speak for yourself, faggot.
>>
Smart guys who aren't actually good at anything.
>>
>>8797929
>Smart guys who aren't actually good at anything.
Can you elaborate on that one?
>>
>>8797932
A lot of them are software engineers, or mediocre academics. High IQs, but not much to show for it.
>>
It seems you can become more rational up to a point. But I find the idea that one can overcome cognitive biases sketchy at best. In fact isn't that a cognitive bias itself?

This subculture of rationality has significance though. I would categorize it as an ideological spawn from Silicon Valley together with neoreaction, even if I don't know whatever it really originates there. It just fits.
I see overlap with the (new) atheist community and utilitarianism.

I think we haven't seen the last of them.
>>
How come they all jews?
>>
>>8797818
>Eliezer Yudkowsky, Robin Hanson, Scott Alexander

literally who?
>>
File: rpf.jpg (105KB, 413x705px) Image search: [Google]
rpf.jpg
105KB, 413x705px
>>8797818
>Eliezer Shlomo Yudkowsky (born September 11, 1979) is an American decision theorist known for popularizing the idea of friendly artificial intelligence

Fucking popsci retard with irrational delusions of strong AI.

>Hanson received a M.A. in Conceptual Foundations of Science from the University of Chicago in 1984, and a Ph.D. in social science from Caltech in 1997 for his thesis titled Four puzzles in information and politics: Product bans, informed voters, social insurance, and persistent disagreement.[6] Before getting his Ph.D he researched artificial intelligence, Bayesian statistics and hypertext publishing at Lockheed, NASA, and elsewhere. In addition, he started the first internal corporate prediction market at Xanadu in 1990.[7]

Not /sci/.

>Scott Alexander (b. 1984) is a rationalist blogger. After graduating with a bachelor’s degree magna cum laude in Philosophy, he gained an MD, and is currently undergoing a residency as a psychiatrist (this means that he is still in training). Scott Alexander is his pen name and he does not disclose the hospital he works at. As is customary in the writing of psychiatrists and psychologists, he mashes up details of different patients when he writes about them, so as to fictionalize the accounts and avoid his patients being identified.
>He began writing on Less Wrong under the name Yvain, and then branched out into his own blog, Slate Star Codex (a near-anagram of "Scott Alexander"). SSC has become one of the top-tier blogs for LessWrong-style rationalists, this and his related Tumblr being linchpins of the LessWrong Diaspora.

Really not /sci/. Also so irrelevant he doesn't even have a wikipedia article.
>>
>>8798083
this guy was spot on>>8797933
>>
>>8797818
Despise it.
Functioning minds with no skills or experience who conflate pseudo-philosophical meanderings to make themselves feel relevant, without actually doing anything.

For some reason it seems really prevalent amongst Americans, they always have to turn everything into groups - especially opposing groups. Even when it doesn't fit, or it's more complicated than simplistic, tribal autism.
>>
pure

ideology
>>
smart but lazy
>>
I heard their Harry Potter fanfic was pretty good though.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.