[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/agdg/ here. What math topics will allow me to design games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

/agdg/ here.

What math topics will allow me to design games as beautifull as chess and go?

What is game theory about?
>>
>>8796956
If I recall correctly the Barnett Equation is pretty much the foundation of chess and go
Pretty advanced stuff though

About whether or not you should shoot other people in the head
>>
Game theory is about why rational self interest is unoptimal.
>>
Game theory couls help. It's all about creating mathematical models of different situations, and finding the best option for the players involved given the payoff of a given choice with respect to the other players strategy
>>
But the game is out there, and it's either play or get played.-Omar Little
>>
>>8796956
Game theory was my favorite Economics class I took. Learning it will help you design games, of course, but really making games is more about learning the math after the fact. You figure out what you want to implement, and then think "how do I actually program this?"
>>
>>8797101
Is this for real
>>
File: 1423885617498.jpg (156KB, 690x388px) Image search: [Google]
1423885617498.jpg
156KB, 690x388px
>>8796965
Agreed, there are some pretty big things in it
>>
>>8799413
How many troll things are in this equation? I can only spot three with my limited /sci/ meme knowledge.
>>
>>8799413
I was almost believing until read "Jacob Barnett"
>>
>>8796956
game theory is about modeling games where everyone is a rational agent.
It's cool for its own sake IMO, but doesn't have much to do with vidya
>>
>>8799454
>Perelman
>Barnett
>Triple Integrals
>[math]e^{i\pi} = -1[/math]
>0.999... = 1
>[math]\sum_{n=1}^\infty n = -\frac{1}{12}[/math]
>>
>>8799707
I was referring to the equation itself, and yes, I noticed a fourth thing right after making that post. I don't know about sets so I can't tell whether or not there is a meme in the left half of the colon.
>>
>>8799721
The definition reads "B equals the set of continuous functions on R such that the triple integral of f is less than e^(i pi)/11.999...", there isn't a meme there (other than that the definition doesn't make sense because in order to do a triple integral you need a function of 3 variables).
>>
>>8796956
Think of it this way op, if you study a shitload of game theory, and I mean if you become a near master at it, you could build a really good AI for a strategy game, especially if it's a game plays out on a lattice like chess or go
>>
>>8799978
do CS grads study game theory?
>>
>>8799979
usually not in undergrad
>>
>>8796956
Go was invented in 4th century BC at the latest

Chess was invented in 1475

What mathematics you need, if any, won't be advanced (Row Reducing was the cutting edge mathematics of the future when Go was being developed; Induction, a first year topic, hadn't even been discovered yet when Chess took its modern form). This is more of trial and error process than a problem of mathematics. Mathematics studies the games after they are created. Creating them is a far less formal and rigorous project.
>>
>>8800002
Chess is way older than that
>>
>>8796956
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering#Combinatorial_Game_Theory
>>
>>8796956
Math doesn't really come into it. The video games most similar to chess and go that I can think of are starcraft and street fighter; extremely tight and clean, no RNG. Both asymmetrical which is probably necessary in the vidya market to keep players interested. Fog of war in SC (incomplete information) and speed of play/mechanical skill in both (introduces more player error) add another layer.

However the chess-likeness of both was emergent; it's pretty hard to make that kind of game (see how bad SC2 is compared to BW) and also hard to market (see skullgirls, which pretty handily captures the tightness of MvC but has a tiny playerbase).

If you really want to create a game like chess or go, I think the primary factors are tightness, elegance, and a lack of RNG. And depth of strategy of course. Good luck marketing it though.
>>
>>8796956
Chess is a two player, zero sum, perfect information game.
>>
>>8800230
In its modern form, 1475.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.