[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does music actually increase cognitive performance? Anecdotedal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: Music Brain.jpg (236KB, 1649x1167px) Image search: [Google]
Music Brain.jpg
236KB, 1649x1167px
Does music actually increase cognitive performance?

Anecdotedal evidence welcome.
>>
>>8796877
And to clarify I mean learning an instrument or music theory
>>
I've spent the last decade with wireless headphones on my ears and blasting music when working on something. It came to a point where I don't start working on things unless I start up some music.

More of a behavior alteration than actual cognitive increase.
>>
>>8796885
Same. One time I didn't even make my bed until I had music playing.
>>
>>8796881
>learning an instrument or music theory
And here I thought this would be an actually interesting topic, oh well.

The association of playing instruments and 'intellect' came from aristocratic societies where having free time to do abstract activities was seen as a symbol of status. It got perpetuated by the plebs and now people associate blowing a whistle with creative genius.

Repetition makes perfection, you can make impressive things if you practice them hard enough but they wont make you smarter in unrelated areas.
>>
>>8796877
Obviously. Listen to a song you like and see it very clearly changes you. Listen to trash you can't stand all day at work, over and over, to the point where you go home and have it looping in your head for days, and see it very clearly changes you, your output, and your performance in various tasks.

I don't care that you're not going to write me a love song because I asked for it / need one, and I don't care that you don't feel lonely just because you're alone. SHUT
UP
SHUT THE FUCK UP

>>8796881
Depends. That's relative to a given task. I don't think it inherently affords any systemic or low level architectural improvements to the mind than learning anything else constructive (and by nature deconstructive).
>>
File: 1477261332509.jpg (37KB, 407x427px) Image search: [Google]
1477261332509.jpg
37KB, 407x427px
I only have an anecdote but I started to play piano at 19 to help me focus in class and build good habits. I would say it helps because you realize what kind of practice you need to become better at something, and it is satisfying to watch how you progress. I don't know, it's fun as hell and I think everyone should play some type of instrument at least once.
>>
>>8796920
>SHUT THE FUCK UP
What she did, bro?
>>
>>8796877
No. Instruments are expensive and therefore linked to financial status and academic achievement, that's all. It's a meme.
>>
>>8796877
the classics of classical does temporarily increase spatial cognition
>>
File: metastasis.jpg (92KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
metastasis.jpg
92KB, 1200x675px
NPR had an interesting video that gives insight to how taxing playing an instrument is for your brain. There's so much coordination with your physical gestures, listening to sound, and always thinking about what you're playing; they liken all the cross-stimulation to your brain having a party. Idk if the psychology is special or not but it's cool to know.

You don't play music to get smarter, you play it because it's fucking sweet and a great way to live in the moment. If you pick up an instrument because you think it'll raise your GPA you're a dweeb.

>>8797423
shut the fuck up
>>
>>8796877
No. It's an old-wife's tale. It's a bit like the claim that smoking weed makes you smarter. It's false.
>>
>>8797779
>>8796877
Oh you mean playing a musical instrument. I thought you meant listening to music.

>>8796881

Perhaps, maybe, I don't know. I don't play music. I'm also pretty stupid.
>>
>"music makes you good at math!"
LOL I'm so tired of hearing this you just represent some sounds as fractions that's fucking baby shit 4th grade crap.
>>
>>8797785
>>8797779
>>8797206
>>8796877
feel free to look up some actual research on the topic, brainlets

the short answer is YES, and it's backed by fMRI, not anecdotes or other bullshit
>>
>>8797828
Did you even understand the question?
>>
>>8796881

Only when you get into non-brainlet music territory like writing fugues and stuff does it actually require any kind of intellect.

Problem is, no one writes music like that anymore. Music has been getting more and more simple as time goes on, probably just to appeal to all the brainlets.

The best analogy I could make would be that Bach is to music as Newton was to math. The difference is, is that after Bach made his greatest contributions to music the entire field devolved back into numerology.
>>
File: _AYF2172.jpg (679KB, 1600x1060px) Image search: [Google]
_AYF2172.jpg
679KB, 1600x1060px
>>8798124
>Problem is, no one writes music like that anymore. Music has been getting more and more simple as time goes on, probably just to appeal to all the brainlets.

don't listen to this wrong-generation bs. people kept writing fugues well into the 20th century and nobody is stopping you from studying traditional forms. it also ignores the ingenuity of modern and contemporary music, and the feats of engineering that go into electronic and computer music, which i acknowledge isn't what people usually mean by "music theory" but anyone who's composing and performing these days without at least some familiarity with basic acoustics and computer applications is lost.
>>
>>8798077
Did you?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.