[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone here understand how mitochondria were passed on to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: '.jpg (226KB, 745x880px) Image search: [Google]
'.jpg
226KB, 745x880px
Does anyone here understand how mitochondria were passed on to subsequent generations in the first eukaryotes? Early on mitochondria were just vacuole enclosed aerobic bacteria so it bothers me that these were somehow able to enter other eukaryotes where the original one underwent binary fission. Now one thing I've been thinking of is how Endorifta Persephone enters tubeworm larvae by infecting it and then triggering the worm's metamorphosis, but it doesn't seem like early mitochondria worked like that based on their structure.
>>
>>8796772
I think it has a lot to do with the ayy lmaos.
>>
>>8796777
Well I can't argue with trips. Aliens need to stop fucking with life.
>>
Ravioli ravioli give me the vacuoli
>>
>>8796772
>evidence for God/Creationism staring you in the face
>still atheist
>>
File: checkmate_theists.jpg (120KB, 380x613px) Image search: [Google]
checkmate_theists.jpg
120KB, 380x613px
>>8797208
Where is your God now?
>>
>>8796772
They didn't need to enter the newly formed cell. More than one cyanobacteria could inhabit a protoeukaryotic cell at once and any daughter cells without "mitochondria" would've been outcompeted.
>>
>>8796785
Somehow underrated
>>
>mitochondria divide inside cell
>cells without mitochondria get outcompeted
>cells that have them divide and have mitochondria in them already

i pulled this out of my ass but you could've thought of it and not have made this thread
>>
>>8797453
>>8797393
Modern eukaryotes don't transfer organelles to daughter cells though, that's what I'm hung up on.
>>
>>8797563
>Modern eukaryotes don't transfer organelles to daughter cells
Hmm?
>>
>>8797576
Only part of the golgi apparatus is directly transferred to the daughter cell, I believe mitochondria are also only partially replicated during mitosis.
>>
>>8797453
>I'll pull some shit out of my ass because it usually works, without realizing it makes me look dumb and uneducated

Dunning-Kruger is alive and well.
>>
>>8798072
Ironically that was my attempt at an educated guess because we don't really know, but I'll admit I was being an asshole about it. I'll try to explain

>>8798003
Those aren't equal. A Golgi apparatus is just a bunch of vesicles that is fully coded by the cells DNA. However as you probably know mitochondria have their own DNA. Not enough to be independent, if I'm not mistaken they can code for 13 proteins, the rest has to come from the cells DNA. This wasn't always the case, when this relationship began they could probably divide inside the cell and the cell would have a defense mechanism against them becoming too numerous, eventually leading to a configuration that would be efficient in a symbiotic way.

http://bioscience.jbpub.com/cells/MBIO4134.aspx
>Mitochondria must be duplicated during the cell cycle and segregated to the daughter cells.
That's because of their unique DNA. There's no other way. Also I believe it's been shown that muscle cells that are trained actually have more mitochondria thus proving that you don't even need cell division to have mitochondrial division.
Now the key sentence is
>Mitochondrial segregation to daughter cells is also stochastic.
which I believe can answer your question. In the beginning it might have happened at random, then cells that had them outcompeted cells that didn't, but it's all speculative.
>>
>>8798141
also quick fix, the article talks about segregation being stochastic as in 'we don't know which mitochondrion with which particular set of dna will be inherited' and i can't really say i know a lot about how cells organize their organelles to be distributed in a 1:1 manner but i assume it didn't incorporate foreign bacteria overnight
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.