[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm through with high school physics and found it quite

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: 394857394587.png (109KB, 400x515px) Image search: [Google]
394857394587.png
109KB, 400x515px
I'm through with high school physics and found it quite an easy ride, should I apply to study physics in university? I'll want none of that boring Newtonian classical mechanics bullshit, but real cosmic problems.

Pic related, that's what I aspire to be, a true, inspiring physicist with real substance and character.
>>
>>8791720
>I'll want none of that boring Newtonian classical mechanics bullshit, but real cosmic problems.
Anon, the first thing you're going to view in university will be the former, since you cannot learn the latter without that.

You should just do Astronomy, but expect to do a class of chemistry, so I seriously hope you at least got good at high school chemistry.
>>
>>8791720
>classical mechanics
>boring

Pleb detected.
>>
File: why.jpg (101KB, 500x566px) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
101KB, 500x566px
>>8791720
>tfw engineer
>tfw I've probably taken a half-dozen classes on F=ma
>>
>>8791739
>You should just
Yeayea, I did all the science subjects and excelled at them, but chemistry is for gays and girls and math is just for people who really have nothing else going on in their lives.
Physics, on the other hand, at least has those little glimpses of salience and meaning.
>>
>>8791837
>This kid
Anon, you're smelling like underage man, you do realize you will only learn 1 class of chemistry and you have to take all the calculus classes for physics as well?
>>
>>8791857
Have already covered derivatives, integrals and vectors, all the basic stuff they'll teach you at Calc3.
No idea what first years chemists cover, but I did rehears covering thermo chemistry, velocity in chemical reactions, organic chemistry basics, chemistry in biomolecules and polymers, balanced reactions, acids and bases and some quantitative chemistry.
>>
Sure, study physics, just try to avoid becoming "that guy". Every physics department has a few of those "that guys" who are super self-obsessed and think they're super clever on par with the greats, even though they aren't. What's worse is these are often they love trying to explain physics shit to people who don't care, ad they come across really douchey and unpleasant. I think especially in regards to a man like Feynman, he's more of a myth than anything, and honestly many people probably thought he was a knob because he could be very arrogant. Same with the walking meme von Neumann.

I.E. strive to do well in physics and be a great explainer, but also strive to be humble and not an annoying cunt. Like Einstein is a better role model than Feynman.
>>
>>8791799
>engineer
Ya but does your mom know you're gay?
>>
File: 238528957.png (7KB, 206x245px) Image search: [Google]
238528957.png
7KB, 206x245px
>>8792128
>What's worse is these are often they love trying to explain physics shit to people who don't care

I-I think I was that guy, I wasn't being a douche though, but my explanations didn't make as deep impression on girls as I've hear Einstein's explanations had. Maybe I'm just a bad explainer?
>>
If you're serious, I recommend you study Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics. You'll find that classical physics is more than just pushing boxes and stretching springs. Do self-study if you want to get ahead, but don't count on it; it's all an illusion.

You can always look up special relativity. It literally requires nothing more than high-school math without any calculus. There is a class that actually goes through the details by Brian Greene at WorldScienceU, if you can stand him. It will seem tedious and jejune, but eventually you'll realize it's not that bad compared to some universities. Maybe look into some books on SR.

The prerequisite math for quantum mechanics is partial differential equations, and linear algebra. The easiest intro to QM book is "Griffiths Quantum Mechanics". A more thorough book would be "Shankar Principles of Quantum Mechanics".

And strive to be a Paul Dirac rather than a Feynman. Feynman was nothing other than Paul Dirac's bitch.
>>
>>8792376
>Paul Dirac rather than a Feynman. Feynman was nothing other than Paul Dirac's bitch.

Paul Dirac was to Richard Feynman what Steve Wozniak was to Steve Jobs, if you want to push it a bit. Still, I guess you need those confident, vocal guys sometime as well.
>>
>>8791720
Why not? Go for it if it interests you. Prepare to get absolutely fucked by "boring Newtonian classical mechanics bullshit" though.
>>
>>8792376
Thanks for an effor and a tip, gonna check those out.
>>
>Prepare to get absolutely fucked by "boring Newtonian classical mechanics bullshit" though.

Just like you? Don't think so, I actually feel well qualified to attend those classes and not waste alumni's and mine time while I'm there.

Now it's just a question wether I should go straight physics or combine it with something, such as math. What about chemistry? Could you combine that with physics in any sound way?
>>
File: 20170316_201453.jpg (795KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170316_201453.jpg
795KB, 1920x1080px
>>8791720
Just because you were good at the high-school algebra problems they gave you does not mean you will enjoy the real physics you will encounter later on.
If you want to by like Feynman, then go ahead and read through pic related, because basically all the high level physics becomes disgusting integrals, 126 dimensional representations of particles, renormalizations renormalizations renormilizations, running of coupling constants, fine tuning bullshit models, etc.....
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.