[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Serious question: If your laptop or phone battery suddenly starts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: hqdefault.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
Serious question:

If your laptop or phone battery suddenly starts smoking what are you supposed to do?

If you live in a house you can take it outside but what if you live in a flat? Put it in the bathub/shower? But what about the smoke that will spread out through your appartement? Isn't it toxic? Won't it leave residue over everything?
>>
Good question, I'd like to know as well
>>
>>8790295
Open a window and turn it off?
>>
>>8790295
throw it by the fucking window
>>
>>8790295

Take it to your car. Start the engine and turn on recirculation with max fan. Stay in the car with the device on and plugged in. This works best if the car is in a closed garage. Sice it may take some time to fix the problem go ahead and take a nap.
>>
>>8790295
Out of the window, literally always the answer.

What matters more, your data or your health?
>>
>>8790295
>If your laptop or phone battery suddenly starts smoking what are you supposed to do?
I never encountered that.

Modern batteries that are mistreated tend to get really hot (like serious burn your hand hot) and can swell up or (rarely) pop, sometimes go on fire (it's not that impressive), but never had one smoke. They're sealed units.

Maybe you have a short circuit over some circuitry or something - a chip has let the smoke out or something. It happens sometimes due to the Chinese using smaller components than are needed, for instance running voltage regulators too hot etc.
>>
>>8790445
when I was a kid my desktop computer caught on fire, but no noticable smoke came out of it just smelled like burnt plastic.
>>
>>8790295
>Put a piece of cloth over your mouth
>keep your head low
>open windows
>don't get too close because they can explode
>pull the plug if possible (or the circuit breaker)
>use a fire extinguisher, sand or water
>call the fire department if you can't extinguish it
>>
>>8790295
Step 1: Drop it as fast as you can, preferably on something that isn't flammable, but it is more important that you drop it NOW. Unless you like shrapnel embedded in you.
Step 2: open all the windows/doors and turn on any vent fans (bathroom/over stove in house/apartment.)
Step 3: don't breath the smoke, it is very toxic (metal fume fever is the least of your worries and not fucking fun at all) go outside, use a damp cloth over your mouth/face and don't breath

Normally, the batteries only explode and catch on fire when physically damaged or overcharged, but that is not always the case. don't take any chances.
>>
>>8790295
>dropping lithium ion battery in water
lmao
>>
>>8790601
>A small Li-ion fire can be handled like any other combustible fire. For best result use a foam extinguisher, CO2, ABC dry chemical, powdered graphite, copper powder or soda (sodium carbonate). If the fire occurs in an airplane cabin, the FAA instructs flight attendants to use water or soda pop. Water-based products are most readily available and are appropriate since Li-ion contains very little lithium metal that reacts with water. Water also cools the adjacent area and prevents the fire from spreading. Research laboratories and factories also use water to extinguish Li-ion battery fires. Halon is also used as fire suppressant, but this agent may not be sufficient to extinguish a large Li-ion fire in the cargo bay of an aircraft.

According to http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/safety_concerns_with_li_ion
>>
>>8790601
It's not metallic lithium. It's a lithium based compound. It doesn't do much in water. Cut one open and find out. No, it won't explode like a bomb.

People like you who think you're smart piss me off.
>>
>>8790692
>>8790633
Thanks, learned something today
>>
>>8790471
>laptop or phone battery
>circuit breaker
>>
>>8790948
That's what you do when you are recharging your phone or laptop. They are plugged into the wall outlet. If the charge circuit fails it can overcharge the battery. Failure can be from bad design, electrical source spike (storm in the area for instance), or physical damage.
>>
>>8790295
Lithium ion battery fires are hard to extinguish, best bet is put it in a ceramic or iron bath (not a fucking fiberglass or plastic one) and GTFO, ringing the fire alarm as you go while calling 911.

Defenestration may expose you to legal issue, if you conk someone on the noggin.
>>
>>8790445
>but never had one smoke.

Because computers are smart and know smoking is bad for you.

Whether or not the battery smokes is not the only question, though. If it does not, by the time it is on fire, it is going to be igniting shit around it, which might smoke.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.