[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i've recently begun college at a mid-tier school with solid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1488787596316.jpg (55KB, 680x681px) Image search: [Google]
1488787596316.jpg
55KB, 680x681px
i've recently begun college at a mid-tier school with solid STEM programs. at my highschool i never really had to do much with chemistry. why do people claim organic chemistry is so difficult? what makes it hard? what is an example of a "hard" problem in ochem?
>>
OP again- also what separates it from general chem?
>>
>>8789816
theyre med students. they think fucking calculus is hard.
>>
>>8789830
As a med student, can confirm that I find calc very difficult. That said, organic chem isnt really that hard once you get a feel for it (studied it for two years before getting accepted to my university)
>>
>>8789816
They try to brute force memorize everything instead of understanding the underlying logic of mechanisms
>>
Dunno pal. Was very easy for me. Name reactions can be a pain to remember though.
>>
>>8789876
well glad to think not even med students think orgo is hard
my point still stands: anyone who says orgo is hard can't be trusted
>>
ochem isn't too bad first semester when it's all arrow pushing, it gets difficult when you have to memorize named reactions and do retrosynthesis. also it's worlds apart from gen chem in a good way
>>
File: 1490809446568.jpg (37KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1490809446568.jpg
37KB, 720x720px
Chem grad student here, I TA'd orgo for two years.
Bio majors usually need to decide between taking orgo or something else. Therein lies the source of the whining.

Also premeds get the fuck out of /sci/, I'm sick of you cunts (and I want to let you know that I take pleasure in fucking your grades and watching you cry). The lot of you often also struggle.
>>
I'm at a community college in Calculus 3 right now, which has about 20 students this semester. Meanwhile, Organic Chemistry 2 has 3. I've only had general chemistry 2, but I am continuously told that organic 2 is the hardest class on campus.
>>
It's considered difficult because it's the most difficult science class premeds will take. At that point in the game (sophmore year), there are still a ton of hopeful premed brainlets, who then get culled by the first real science class they take and fuck off back to the liberal arts, while complaining how hard o-chem is for the rest of eternity. It's a weeder course in a lot of schools, which means the difficulty is intentionally turned up, but no more so than any other second year stem class
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.