[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/vg/ here. I want to code my own 2D games in libgdx. How much

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1489867027505.png (947B, 416x454px) Image search: [Google]
1489867027505.png
947B, 416x454px
/vg/ here.
I want to code my own 2D games in libgdx.

How much math and physics do I need to know?

Can you at least give me a list of shit I can google?
>>
I've made my own games using C++, and the only physics I used was simple kinematics equations. You might need a little bit of trigonometry for moving objects, but you don't really need to understand how it works.
>>
>>8786595
can you give me a list of shit so I can google it?
>>
>>8786583
>math
2D gamedev is normally not maths heavy at all. It's all about logic and structure. You might be slightly disadvantaged if you can't do basic algebra and use trig to solve right-angled triangle problems.

Learning what vectors are would be useful but you only need an entry level explanation of them and you don't need them to get started. Don't overcomplicate things.
>physics
Don't write your own physics/collision detection, use Box or Chipmunk. I suppose knowing how to apply basic equations of motion might be helpful if your game involves e.g. throwing objects around.

>a list of shit I can google?
What level of programming can you do already and what's the highest level of maths education you've had? You might be essentially good to go already.
>>
>>8786608
What would be the math and physics needed to make a 2D fighting game?
>>
>>8786612
Basic AABB (for collision detection). You just use (x,y) positions and widths/heights to find if two objects are intersecting.
>>
>>8786619
don't I need trigonometry to calculate jumps?
>>
>>8786621
Only if you want the characters to jump at an angle. If you want them to jump directly upwards, all you have to do is subtract from their Y value.
>>
>>8786623
do I still need to stuy basic trigonometry?
>>
>>8786625
It can't hurt, but you probably won't be using it much for a 2D fighter.
>>
>>8786630
isn't a 2D fighter, basically the same from a programming perspective as a 2D platformer with PvP?
>>
>>8786612
Have you written a Pong clone yet? If so you're probably 95% of the way there. Start by allowing two character objects to move around and then worry about detecting hits.

You're really worrying too much about the maths side of things.

>>8786621
Not to begin with. It might be helpful if you want to carefully define their jump curves, but to start, just
>add a whole bunch of upwards vertical velocity when jump is pressed
>every frame, if character is not on the ground, subtract some vertical velocity to imitate gravity
>deal with horizontal movement differently, i.e. maybe limit how quickly they're allowed to move while they're jumping or prevent them from changing their horizontal movement at all until they're back on the ground
>>
>>8786636
yeah, I've done games before, that's why I want to tackle now my dream game.

but I'm still afraid I would need some shit I still don't know.
>>
>>8786640
To build confidence before starting your real project, maybe make a tiny test game where you're a red rectangle jumping around on some white rectangles? That way you can get familiar with how to handle moving and jumping on platforms.
>>
>>8786583
depend the kind of game. some basic vector knowledge at minimum, if there is any physics, newton laws of motion.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.